The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Born|| (1983-03-08) 8 March 1983
|Occupation||Opera singer (soprano)|
|Website||Nino Machaidze on Facebook|
Nino Machaidze (Georgian: ნინო მაჩაიძე; born 8 March 1983 in Tbilisi) is a Georgian operatic soprano. She gained international attention after being cast as Juliette in Roméo et Juliette at Salzburg Festival in 2008. She is also notable for bel canto roles such as Fiorilla in Il turco in Italia, Adina in L'elisir d'amore, and Violetta in La traviata.
Nino Machaidze was born to a Georgian language teacher mother and a economist father and raised in Tbilisi. At the age of seven she began piano and vocal lessons at a school affiliated with the Tbilisi State Conservatoire, which she later also attended. Between 2000 and 2005, she sang Zerlina in Don Giovanni, Gilda in Rigoletto, Rosina in Il barbiere di Siviglia, and Norina in Don Pasquale at the Georgian National Opera Theater.
In 2005, She was among the 9 applicants accepted into La Scala Theatre Academy (Accademia del Teatro alla Scala) after an intense competition. At the academy, she studied with Luciana Serra, Leyla Gencer, and Luigi Alva and also attended masterclasses of Renato Bruson and Mirella Freni. In 2006 she debuted there as Naiad in Ariadne auf Naxos and won first prize in the Leyla Gencer Voice Competition in Istanbul.
Nachaidze went on singing several roles at La Scala: Silvia in Ascanio in Alba, Despina in Così fan tutte, Lauretta in Gianni Schicchi, Musetta in La bohème, and Marie in La fille du régiment, the role she also performed at her debut at Teatro dell'Opera di Roma. In April 2008, she made her first appearance at Teatro Carlo Felice as Amina in La sonnambula conducted by Daniel Oren.
Being spotted by Jürgen Flimm as Lauretta led to her opportunity to play Juliette in the new production of Gounod's Roméo et Juliette opposite Rolando Villazón at the Salzburg Festival in 2008 when Anna Netrebko dropped out due to pregnancy. After only one month's preparation, the performance turned out to be successful, therefore propelled her to international fame. She is nicknamed "The Angelina Jolie of Opera". In autumn she debuted at Teatro Regio di Parma as Gilda in Rigoletto, and reprised her role in a concert performance of Juliette at the Concertgebouw replacing the ill singer.
In 2009, Machaidze sang Elvira in I puritani opposite Juan Diego Flórez at the Teatro Comunale di Bologna in January, and Juliette at Teatro La Fenice in February. She performed Lucia in Lucia di Lammermoor twice at La Monnaie in Brussels and Teatro municipale Giuseppe Verdi in Salerno. She debuted at Los Angeles Opera as Adina in L'elisir d'amore in September.
2011 saw her debut at the Metropolitan Opera as Gilda in January. She returned there in May in the same role, replacing Diana Damrau, and in December as Marie in La fille du régiment. She debuted as Leïla in Les pêcheurs de perles at the Teatro Filarmonico in Verona in April. In September, she made house debut at Hamburg State Opera singing Gilda. In 2012, she made debut appearance at the Paris Opera as Gilda in January.
In 2014, she made her role debut as Violetta in La traviata at Los Angeles Opera in September and as Luisa in Luisa Miller at Hamburg State Opera in November. In 2015, she appeared as Ninetta in La gazza ladra at the Rossini Opera Festival.
In 2016, Nachaidze debuted as Desdemona in Rossini's Otello with John Osborn as Otello at Theater an der Wien in February and as Mimì in La bohème at Los Angeles Opera in summer. She sang Desdemona again at her Teatro di San Carlo debut in December.
In January 2018, Machaidze debuted as Mathilde in Guillaume Tell at Teatro Massimo, where she received generally positive reviews despite the potentially controversial production by Damiano Michieletto. She first appeared as the role of Nedda in Pagliacci at Grand Théâtre de Genève in March, debuted at Zürich Opera House singing Luisa Miller in April. She performed the national anthem on the parade for the centenary of the Democratic Republic of Georgia.
Machaidze has been residing in Milan, Italy since 2005. She married baritone Guido Loconsolo on 26 September 2011. Their son, Alessandro, was born on 9 August 2013. She enjoys swimming but not jogging.
- Zerlina, Don Giovanni (Mozart)
- Norina, Don Pasquale (Donizetti)
- Rosina, Il barbiere di Siviglia (Rossini)
- Gilda, Rigoletto (Verdi)
- Naiad, Ariadne auf Naxos (Strauss)
- Silvia, Ascanio in Alba (Mozart)
- Marie, La fille du régiment (Donizetti)
- Despina, Così fan tutte (Mozart)
- Lauretta, Gianni Schicchi (Puccini)
- Amina, La sonnambula (Bellini)
- Musetta, La bohème (Puccini)
- Juliette, Roméo et Juliette (Gounod)
- Elvira, I puritani (Bellini)
- Lucia, Lucia di Lammermoor (Donizetti)
- Fiorilla, Il turco in Italia (Rossini)
- Adina, L'elisir d'amore (Donizetti)
- Olga Sukarev, Fedora (Giordano)
- Leïla, Les pêcheurs de perles (Bizet)
- Thaïs, Thaïs (Massenet)
- Violetta, La traviata (Verdi)
- Luisa, Luisa Miller (Verdi)
- Folleville, Il viaggio a Reims (Rossini)
- Micaëla, Carmen (Bizet)
- Ninetta, La gazza ladra (Rossini)
- Inès, L'Africaine (Meyerbeer)
- Desdemona, Otello (Rossini)
- Mimì, La bohème (Puccini)
- Pamira, Le siège de Corinthe (Rossini)
- Mathilde, Guillaume Tell (Rossini)
- Nedda, Pagliacci (Leoncavallo)
- Antonia, Les contes d'Hoffmann (Offenbach)
- 2010: Giordano – Fedora (as Olga Sukarev); Angela Gheorghiu, Plácido Domingo, La Monnaie Orchestra and Chorus, conductor Alberto Veronesi (Deutsche Grammophon)
- 2011: Romantic Arias – Rossini, Donizetti, Massenet, Bellini, Gounod; Teatro Comunale di Bologna Orchestra, conductor Michele Mariotti (Sony)
- 2013: Arias & Scenes; Orchestre national de France, conductor Daniele Gatti (Sony)
- 2008: Puccini – Il trittico (as Lauretta); conductor Riccardo Chailly, La Scala (Hardy Classic)
- 2008: Gounod – Roméo et Juliette (as Juliette); with Rolando Villazón, conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Salzburg Festival (Deutsche Grammophon)
- 2008: Verdi – Rigoletto (as Gilda); with Leo Nucci, conductor Massimo Zanetti, Teatro Regio di Parma (Unitel Classica)
- 2009: Bellini – I puritani (as Elvira); with Juan Diego Flórez, conductor Michele Mariotti, Teatro Comunale di Bologna (Decca)
- 2011: Gounod – Roméo et Juliette (as Juliette); with Stefano Secco, conductor Fabio Mastrangelo, Arena di Verona (BelAir Classiques)
- 2012: Puccini – La bohème (as Musetta); with Anna Netrebko, conductor Daniele Gatti, Salzburg Festival (Deutsche Grammophon; Unitel Classica)
- "Georgia's Rising Star, Soprano Nino Machaidze". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. 2010-01-16. Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- "Das ist bei mir Natur" [This is Nature for Me]. cluverius.com (Interview) (in German). 2009-08-17.
- Lodola, Francesco (2016-07-06). "Intervista a Nino Machaidze". Ieri, Oggi, Domani, Opera! (in Italian).
- Malasoma, Ugo (2006-06-06). "Milano - Teatro alla Scala: Ariadne auf Naxos". OperaClick (in Italian).
- "4th Leyla Gencer Voice Competition Winners". www.leylagencer.org. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- Zannella, Fulvio (2006-11-02). "Milano - Teatro alla Scala: Ascanio in Alba". OperaClick.
- Zambon, Vittorio (2007-11-02). "Milano - Teatro alla Scala: Così fan tutte". OperaClick.
- Malasoma, Ugo (2008-03-06). "Milano - Teatro alla Scala: Il Trittico". OperaClick.
- Girardi, Enrico (2008-07-15). "BOHEME (LA) - regia Franco Zeffirelli". Corriere della Serra – via Sipario.
- ""Julia" Nino Machaidze gilt als neue Netrebko" ["Julia" Nino Machaidze is considered a new Netrebko]. Österreich (in German). 2008-08-04.
- Gagua, Irakli (2012-03-05). "Nino Machaidze prominent opera singer from Georgia". Stream Press.
- Cascini, Etta (2008-04-29). "SONNAMBULA (LA) - regia Patrick Mailler". Sipario (in Italian).
- "Machaidze ersetzt Netrebko bei Salzburger Festspielen" [Machaidze replaces Netrebko at the Salzburg Festival]. Der Standard (in German). 2008-03-18.
- Taylor, James C. (2011-11-01). "Nino Machaidze is not nervous about 'Romeo and Juliet'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- Spahn, Claus (2008-08-07). "Musiktheater: In Blitzlichtgewittern". Die Zeit (in German).
- Smith, Sam (2010-10-01). "Features: Nino Machaidze". musicOMH. Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- Spiegler, Almuth (2008-07-27). "Salzburger Festspiele: Chemische Liebe und die Angelina Jolie der Oper" [Salzburg Festival: Chemical Love and the Angelina Jolie of the Opera]. Die Presse (in German).
- "Festival Verdi a Parma: Rigoletto, debutta Nino Machaidze". Il Corriere della Grisi (Review) (in Italian). 2008-10-17.
- van der Lint, Peter (2008-11-11). "Invallende Romeo en Julia pakken Matineepubliek in". Trouw (in Dutch).
- Mormile, Alessandro (2009-01-11). "Bologna - Teatro Comunale: I Puritani". OperaClick (in Italian). Franceschini, Lukas. "Bologna, Teatro Comunale: "I puritani"". GBOpera (in Italian).
- Cammarano, Alessandro (2009-02-19). "Venezia - Teatro La Fenice: Roméo et Juliette". OperaClick.
- Ponthir, Philippe (2009-04-18). "Lucia di Lammermoor - Bruxelles (La Monnaie)". Forumopera.com (in French).
- Tredicine, Bruno (2009-05-15). "Salerno - Teatro Verdi: Lucia di Lammermoor". OperaClick.
- "Los Angeles Opera's Magic Potion: Nino Machaidze in "L'Elisir d'Amore" – September 12, 2009". Opera Warhorses (Review). 2009-09-14. Moran, Rita (2009-09-18). "L.A. Opera delivers despite losing two key stars to injuries". Ventura County Star.
- "Verdi's RIGOLETTO Returns to the Met". BroadwayWorld. 2010-09-29.
- Tommasini, Anthony (2011-04-27). "Jester Returns to Test a Guest Conductor". The New York Times.
- Woolfe, Zachary (2011-12-13). "A Buoyant Bouquet Tossed to France". The New York Times.
- Bagnoli, Giorgio (2011-04-13). "Verona, Teatro Filarmonico: "Les pêcheurs de perles"". GBOpera (in Italian).
- "Nino Machaidze gibt Debüt an der Staatsoper" [Nino Machaidze makes debut at the state opera]. lifePR.de (in German). 2011-09-01.
- Kooiman, Jordi (2011-09-13). "Machaidze zingt matige Gilda in Hamburg" [Machaidze sings moderate Gilda in Hamburg]. Place de l'Opera (operamagazine.nl) (in Dutch).
- Brunetto, Antoine (2012-01-27). "Rigoletto - Paris (Bastille)". Forumopera.com. Grice, Jeffrey (2012-01-27). "Paris, Opéra Bastille: "Rigoletto"". GBOpera (in French).
- Byrd, Craig (2014-09-11). "Curtain Call: When it Comes to La Traviata, the Waiting Was the Hardest Part for Nino Machaidze". Los Angeles. Martinez, Matthew Richard (2014-09-14). "LA Opera's Traviata sparkles, but doesn't quite shine". Bachtrack.
- Forsthoff, Christoph (2014-11-18). "Tödliche Regie". concerti.de (in German).
- Ciccone, Domenico (13 August 2015). "Pesaro - Adriatic Arena : La Gazza Ladra". OperaClick (in Italian). Bozzi, Filippo (16 August 2015). "Rossini Opera Festival 2015: "La gazza ladra"". GBOpera (in Italian).
- "COMPLETE ARTIST Interview with soprano NINO MACHAIDZE". I Teatri dell'Est e non solo (Interview). 2015-10-08.
- Parker, Moore (19 February 2016). "Theater an der Wien - Otello". The Opera Critic (Review). "Tenor-Festspiele in Rossinis Otello". Bachtrack (in German). 26 February 2016.
- "La Bohème (season 15/16)". Los Angeles Opera. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
- Ginell, Richard S. (2016-05-15). "L.A. Opera delivers some Parisian déjà vu in 'La Bohème'". Los Angeles Times. Farber, Jim (2016-05-17). "Review: LA Opera embraces the return of a longtime friend, 'La Boheme'". Los Angeles Daily News.
- Tredicine, Bruno (3 December 2016). "Napoli - Teatro di San Carlo: Otello". OperaClick (in Italian). Fiorito, Lorenzo (5 December 2016). "Rossini's Otello returns to its birthplace in Naples". Bachtrack.
- Stoering, Donna (2017-06-01). "Quinn Kelsey excels as Rigoletto in San Francisco". Bachtrack.
- "I made my debut in this Part when i was only 17..." 2017-07-02.
- Salazar, Francisco (7 August 2017). "Artist Of The Week: Nino Machaidze Brings Vocal Beauty To Rossini's 'The Siege Of Corinth'". OperaWire. Servidei, Laura (15 August 2017). "A new critical edition of Le Siège de Corinthe at the Rossini Opera Festival". Bachtrack.
- Imam, James (2018-01-25). "Damiano Michieletto's controversial Guillaume Tell resurfaces in Palermo". Bachtrack. De Simone, Caterina (2018-01-26). "Palermo - Teatro Massimo: Guillaume Tell". OperaClick (in Italian).
- "Nino Machaidze performs national anthem". 1TV. 2018-05-26.
- Barrigós, Concha (2013-12-20). "Nino Machaidze, la "angelinajolie" de las sopranos, fascina al Real" [Nino Machaidze, the "Angelina Joile" of the sopranos, fascinats the Real]. eldiario.es (in Spanish). EFE.
- Chilvers, Alex (2011-01-14). "Sony signs Nino Machaidze". Limelight.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Nino Machaidze; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.