|Born|| (1983-03-08) 8 March 1983
|Occupation||Opera singer (soprano)|
Nino Machaidze (Georgian: ნინო მაჩაიძე; born 8 March 1983 in Tbilisi) is a Georgian operatic soprano. She gained international attention after being cast as Juliette in Roméo et Juliette at Salzburg Festival in 2008.
Education and early career
Nino Machaidze was born and raised in Tbilisi, in the republic of Georgia. At the age of seven she began piano and vocal lessons at a school affiliated with the Tbilisi State Conservatoire, which she later also attended. Between 2000 and 2005, she sang Norina in Don Pasquale, Zerlina in Don Giovanni and Rosina in Il barbiere di Siviglia at Tbilisi’s Paliashvili Theatre. In 2005, She was accepted at La Scala Theatre Academy (Accademia Teatro alla Scala). In 2006 she debuted there as Naiad in Ariadne auf Naxos and won the Leyla Gencer Voice Competition in Istanbul.
In 2007 after singing Silvia in Ascanio in Alba, Machaidze sang Marie in La fille du régiment, the role which she later performed on her Rome Opera debut, Lauretta in Gianni Schicchi and Musetta in La bohème at La Scala.
Being spotted as Lauretta led to her opportunity to play Juliette in the new production of Gounod's Roméo et Juliette opposite Rolando Villazón at the Salzburg Festival in 2008 when Anna Netrebko dropped out due to pregnancy. After only one month's preparation, the performance turned out to be successful, therefore propelled her to international fame.
In autumn 2008 Machaidze debuted at the Teatro Regio di Parma as Gilda in Rigoletto. She sang her first Elvira in I puritani opposite Juan Diego Flórez at the Teatro Comunale di Bologna in January 2009 and her first Lucia in Lucia di Lammermoor for her debut at La Monnaie in Brussels in April.
She made her debut at the Metropolitan Opera with Gilda in January 2011, returned there in May as Gilda again and as Marie in La fille du régiment in December.
In 2016, Nachaidze debuted as Desdemona in Rossini's Otello at Theater an der Wien in February and as Mimì in La bohème under Gustavo Dudamel at Los Angeles Opera in summer. She sang Desdemona again at her Teatro di San Carlo debut in December.
In January 2018, she made both role and house debut by performing Mathilde in William Tell at Teatro Massimo. She first appeared as the role of Nedda in Pagliacci at Grand Théâtre de Genève in March, debuted at Zürich Opera House singing Luisa Miller in April. She performed the national anthem on the parade for the centenary of the Democratic Republic of Georgia.
Machaidze has been residing in Milan, Italy since 2005. She married baritone Guido Loconsolo in 2011.
- Norina, Don Pasquale (Donizetti)
- Zerlina, Don Giovanni (Mozart)
- Rosina, Il barbiere di Siviglia (Rossini)
- Naiad, Ariadne auf Naxos (Strauss)
- Gilda, Rigoletto (Verdi)
- Silvia, Ascanio in Alba (Mozart)
- Marie, La fille du régiment (Donizetti)
- Lauretta, Gianni Schicchi (Puccini)
- Musetta, La bohème (Puccini)
- Juliette, Roméo et Juliette (Gounod)
- Despina, Così fan tutte (Mozart)
- Micaëla, Carmen (Bizet)
- Adina, L'elisir d'amore (Donizetti)
- Elvira, I puritani (Bellini)
- Lucia, Lucia di Lammermoor (Donizetti)
- Amina, La sonnambula (Bellini)
- Thaïs, Thaïs (Massenet)
- Leïla, Les pêcheurs de perles (Bizet)
- Olga Sukarev, Fedora (Giordano)
- Donna Fiorilla, Il turco in Italia (Rossini)
- Violetta, La traviata (Verdi)
- Luisa, Luisa Miller (Verdi)
- Ines, L'Africaine (Meyerbeer)
- Desdemona, Otello (Rossini)
- Mimì, La bohème (Puccini)
- Contessa di Folleville, Il viaggio a Reims (Rossini)
- Pamira, Le siège de Corinthe (Rossini)
- Mathilde, Guillaume Tell (Rossini)
- Nedda, Pagliacci (Leoncavallo)
- Giordano - Fedora (complete opera); Angela Gheorghiu, Plácido Domingo, Nino Machaidze (as Olga Sukarev), La Monnaie Orchestra and Chorus, Alberto Veronesi conductor; DG, 2010.
- Romantic Arias - Rossini, Donizetti, Massenet, Bellini, Gounod; Teatro Comunale di Bologna Orchestra, Michele Mariotti conductor; Sony, 2011.
Some of the performances in which Machaidze has taken part have also been videotaped and released on DVD, including:
- Il trittico, La Scala, 2008;
- Roméo et Juliette, Salzburger Festspiele 2008;
- I puritani, Teatro Comunale di Bologna and
- La bohème with Anna Netrebko in Salzburg, 2012
- "Georgia's Rising Star, Soprano Nino Machaidze". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. 2010-01-16. Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- James C. Taylor (2011-11-01). "Nino Machaidze is not nervous about 'Romeo and Juliet'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- Die Bühne Austria-International Gesellschaft, Vienna, Wiener Bühnenverein - 2009 "Salzburgs Intendant Jürgen Flimm prophezeite sogleich, dass Nino Machaidze abgehen werde „wie eine Rakete", und unter der Salzburger Sommersonne gab die junge Sängerin fröhlich ein Interview nach dem anderen."
- Sam, Smith (2010-10-01). "Interview". Retrieved 2018-01-11.