The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Traded as||NASDAQ: NTRI
S&P 600 Component
|USA and Canada|
|Dawn Zier, President and CEO|
|Products||weight loss, weight management, nutrition|
|Services||telephone, internet and mobile counseling for weight control|
Nutrisystem, headquartered in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania, is a commercial provider of weight loss products and services. Initially, the company offered weight loss counseling and products in brick and mortar centers. In 1999, the company moved to a direct-to-consumer business model, selling its products and programs on the Internet and through a call center via 1-800 numbers.
As of 2014 evidence was lacking that Nutrisystem products help with long-term weight loss; there was tentative evidence that at three months it resulted in 3.8% more weight loss than a control group. Reviews of the Nutrisystem program criticize the company’s approach as being not conducive to long-term weight control and expensive.
In 2010, the company's mobile platform was launched amidst allegations that Nutrisystem had stolen the technology from WebDiet, Inc., a Silicon Valley startup. In 2012 Dawn Zier joined Nutrisystem as CEO. In 2015 they acquired the South Beach Diet brand.
- Gudzune, KA; Doshi, RS; Mehta, AK; Chaudhry, ZW; Jacobs, DK; Vakil, RM; Lee, CJ; Bleich, SN; Clark, JM (7 April 2015). "Efficacy of commercial weight-loss programs: an updated systematic review". Annals of Internal Medicine. 162 (7): 501–12. doi:10.7326/m14-2238. PMC 4446719. PMID 25844997.
- Metcalf, Eric (February 6, 2017). "Nutrisystem Diet Plan Review:". WebMD.
- Brandy, Shaul (24 April 2015). "Nutrisystem Launches Weight Loss Platform on IOS". AdWeek SocialTimes. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- Fair, Matt (1 July 2014). "Nutrisystem Accused of Stealing Rival's Diet Mobile App Technology". Law360. Archived from the original on 22 May 2015. Retrieved 18 May 2015.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Nutrisystem; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.