The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Type of site
|White nationalist, anti-Semitic online cultural magazine|
|Part of a series on|
The Occidental Observer is an American far-right online publication that covers politics and society from a white nationalist and antisemitic perspective. Its mission statement is to "present original content touching on the themes of white identity, white interests, and the culture of the West." The publication was founded to promote the perspective of white people as an ethnic group. It is run by the Charles Martel Society.
Kevin B. MacDonald, the retired American professor of psychology at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB), is the publication's editor. MacDonald is known for assertion considering Judaism as a kind of "group evolutionary strategy".
Racist and anti-Semitic content
The Anti-Defamation League says that The Occidental Observer "has become a primary voice for anti-Semitism from far-right intellectuals." Among the articles it cites as evidence for this are a September 24, 2008 article titled "The Sandra Bernhard Monstrosity" which charged that "hostility to whites and to Christianity is a mainstream Jewish phenomenon", and a September 12, 2008 article titled "The Washington Post's Willing Executioner?" which, according to the ADL, "argued that that Jews want to exterminate American whites."
A 2015 article in The New York Times examing the use of websites by white supremacists said that "Several organizations — the National Policy Institute, American Renaissance, the Charles Martel Society and its website The Occidental Observer — try to take a more highbrow approach, couching white nationalist arguments as academic commentary on black inferiority, the immigration threat to whites and other racial issues." In response, The Occidental Observer rejects being labeled as white supremacist or racist.
- "Occidental Observer". Occidental Observer. February 20, 2010. Archived from the original on February 25, 2011. Retrieved February 20, 2011.
- "Donate". Occidental Observer. Occidental Observer. Retrieved February 2, 2016.
- "The Occidental Observer: Online Anti-Semitism's New Intellectual Voice". Anti-Defamation League. Archived from the original on February 12, 2011. Retrieved February 20, 2011.
- "Kevin MacDonald" (PDF). Anti-Defamation League. November 2013. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
- "MacDonald to retire in the fall", daily49er.com, April 14, 2014. Retrieved August 16, 2015.
- "Occidental Observer". Occidental Observer. September 24, 2008. Retrieved February 20, 2011.
- "Occidental Observer". Occidental Observer. September 12, 2008. Retrieved February 20, 2011.
- Wines, Michael; Saul, Stephanie (July 5, 2015). "White Supremacists Extend Their Reach Through Websites". The New York Times. Retrieved February 2, 2016.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Occidental Observer; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.