The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Official Opposition Shadow Cabinet (United Kingdom)
In British parliamentary practice, the Official Opposition Shadow Cabinet (usually known simply as the shadow cabinet) consists of senior members of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition who scrutinise their corresponding government ministers, develop alternative policies, and hold the government to account for its actions and responses. Since May 2010, the Labour Party has been Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, and its leadership therefore forms the current shadow cabinet.
Not all opposition frontbenchers are members of the shadow cabinet, which is composed of the most senior opposition members (usually around twenty).
The Leader of the Opposition, the opposition chief whip and opposition deputy chief whip are the only members of the Official Opposition to be paid for their opposition roles in addition to their salaries as Members of Parliament. The Leader of the Opposition and the opposition chief whip in the House of Lords also receive a salary.
- This member is also a Privy Counsellor
- Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition (United Kingdom)
- Official Opposition frontbench
- List of British shadow cabinets
- List of shadow holders of the Great Offices of State
- 2010 Labour Party (UK) Shadow Cabinet election
- Liberal Democrat frontbench team
- Cabinet of the United Kingdom
- British Government frontbench
- Her Majesty's Official Opposition – official UK Parliament webpage
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Official Opposition Shadow Cabinet (United Kingdom); it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.