The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Otto Wilhelm Masing
Otto Wilhelm Masing (8 November [O.S. 28 October] 1763 in Lohusuu, Kreis Dorpat, Livland Governorate – 15 March [O.S. 3 March] 1832 in Äksi, Livland Governorate) was an early Baltic German Estophile and a major advocate of peasant rights, especially regarding education.
He received schooling at the town school of Narva (1777–1779) and then (1779–1782) at the Gymnasium of Torgau (Germany) before studying theology, music and drawing at the University of Halle, returning to Estonia in 1786.
In 1796 he married Dorothea Amalie Ehlertz (1776–1809) in Dorpat (Tartu), a daughter of the city councillor Carl Ulrich Ehlertz (1739–1790)  and his wife Louisa Dorothea née Stockenberg (1755–1803), a great-granddaughter of the sculptor Johann Gustav Stockenberg.
His first employment after concluding his studies was as private tutor at Püssi Manor for the children of the nobleman Otto Magnus von Toll.
Contributions as publicist and linguist
In 1795, Masing compiled and published a children's textbook for learning reading, the ABD. (The letter 'C' does not appear in Estonian words, and back then, was not considered a member of Estonian alphabet. This considered, the title could be translated as "ABC.") He published a further textbook with methodical reading instructions, the Luggemislehhed, in 1821.
Among other linguistic contributions, Masing is credited with creating the letter 'õ' to denote an Estonian phoneme not found in other nearby languages.
- Entry in the Register of Marriages of the Parish of St. John (Estonian: Tartu Jaani kogudus)
- von Lemm, Robert Arthur (1960), Dorpater Ratslinie 1319-1889 und das Dorpater Stadtamt 1878-1918, Marburg/Lahn: Herder-Inst.
- Napiersky, Karl Eduard (1851), Beiträge zur Geschichte der Kirchen und Prediger in Livland. Drittes Heft, Lebensnachrichten von den livländischen Predigern, mit litterärischen Nachweisen. Zweiter Theil, H-P, Mitau: J.F. Steffenhagen und Sohn
- Paucker, Hugo Richard (1849), Ehstlands Geistlichkeit in geordneter Zeit- und Reihefolge, Reval: Lindfors Erben
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Otto Wilhelm Masing; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.