The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Johnny Cash på Österåker|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||October 3, 1972|
|Venue||Österåker Prison (Sweden)|
|Genre||Country, folk, gospel|
|Producer||Larry Butler, Charlie Bragg|
|Johnny Cash chronology|
|Singles from Johnny Cash på Österåker|
Johnny Cash på Österåker (Swedish for 'At Österåker') is a live album by country singer Johnny Cash released on Columbia Records in 1973, making it his 43rd overall release. The album features Cash's concert at the Österåker Prison in Sweden held on October 3, 1972. Its counterparts in concept are the more notable At Folsom Prison (1968), At San Quentin (1969), and A Concert Behind Prison Walls (1976). Unlike aforementioned, På Österåker does not contain any of Cash's most well-known songs; it does, however, include a version of Kris Kristofferson's "Me and Bobby McGee". "Orleans Parish Prison" was released as a single, faring rather poorly on the charts. Cash had previously recorded "I Saw a Man" for his 1959 album, Hymns by Johnny Cash.
The majority of the songs featured in the original release would remain unique to this concert recording, though Cash would later record a studio version of "City Jail" for his 1977 album, The Last Gunfighter Ballad. Some lyrics from "City Jail" taken from the protagonist's dialogue with a policeman would later be incorporated by Cash into live performances of "Orange Blossom Special".
På Österåker was re-released during the latter part of 2007. The album differs significantly from the original. "Orleans Parish Prison" is a completely different performance; the original release version was, in fact, a studio recording overdubbed with applause for the original album and single release; the 2007 Legacy reissue replaces it with the original live rendition. "San Quentin" was recorded with Cash replacing San Quentin with Österåker which was greatly appreciated by the inmates and this version, which was performed twice, is included in the reissue along with two previously unreleased performances by Carl Perkins at the same concert. In addition, the extended version includes renditions of several of Cash's well-known hits that had been omitted from the original release in deference to new material.
- Johnny Cash – vocals, acoustic guitar
- Marshall Grant – bass
- W.S. Holland – drums
- Bob Wootton – electric guitar
- Carl Perkins – vocals, electric guitar
- Larry Butler – piano
Additional personnel (2007 reissue only)
- Original Recordings Produced by: Larry Butler & Charlie Bragg
- Produced for Reissue By: Al Quaglieri
- Mixed and Mastered by: Bob Irwin at Sundazed Studios
- Legacy A&R: Steve Berkowitz
- Project Direction: Lars Hoglund & Tom Burleigh
- Art Direction and Design: Ricky Tillblad & Joan Kjellberg/Zion Graphics
- Photography: Don Hunstein, Sony BMG Archives
- Executive Producers: John Carter Cash & Lou Robin
Singles - U.S. Billboard charts
|1974||"Orleans Parish Prison"||Country Singles||52|
- På Österåker at Luma Electronic
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article På Österåker; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.