The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Parents' Worship Day
|Parents Worship Day|
|Next time||14 February 2021 (2021-02-14)|
|Related to||Bal Diwas / Children's Day, Pitru Paksha (ancestors day), Father's Day, Mother's Day|
Parents' Worship Day, known as Matru Pitru Poojan Diwas (Hindi: मातृ-पितृ पूजन दिवस, also Matru Pitru Poojan Divas) was started by the Indian spiritual leader Sant Asaram Bapu in 2007 as an alternative to Valentine's Day.
The day was first celebrated on 14 Feb 2007 at Sant Shri Asharamji Gurukul, Ahmedabad.
According to The Hindu, the Indian state of Chhattisgarh has been celebrating Matru-Pitru Pujan Diwas since 2012, on the advice of Asaram. It is officially celebrated by the Chhattisgarh Govt in schools and colleges as ordered by the Chief Minister Raman Singh. 
In 2015 the state government led by the Bharatiya Janata Party made it an official celebration. In 2015 the right wing political party Akhil Bharatiya Hindu Mahasabha endorsed the day. On 14 February 2015, it was celebrated on a large scale by an NGO Bhartiya Yuwa Shakthi at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Krida Mandal, Nehru Nagar, Kurla. The event imparted theoretical and practical values to parents and children. It was celebrated by Sanatan Dharma Sabha in Jammu in 2015, 2016, and 2017.
In 2019, Gujarat Education Minister, Bhupendrasinh Chudasama appreciated the initiative of celebrating 14th Feb as Matru Pitru Pujan Diwas.
Matru Pitru Poojan Diwas
Matru Pitru Poojan Diwas (MPPD) also called Matra Pitra Pujan Divas is a festival initiated by Sant Asaramji.On this day, children from all religions worship their parents and seek their blessings by offering them tilak, garland. It is seen by many as a method to cement the bond between family members and to imbibe good values like respect, obedience and humility in children. Right wing activists claim that it is an alternate method to counter teenage pregnancy. In several states like Maharashtra, Haryana, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Valentine's Day has been officially renamed as Matru-Pitru Pujan Diwas.
As per Directorate of Public Instructions, every year February 14 is celebrated as Parents' Worship Day instead of Valentine's Day in Chattisgarh. Parents are invited to schools and children worship them by performing aarti and offering sweets.
Huge number of people have shown their support to Parents Worship Day with the emphasis on reviving cultural values, familial bonds and Indian heritage.
Abba Ammi Ibadat Diwas
Muslim students expressed love for parents by celebrating the day as 'Abba Ammi Ibadat Diwas'.
- "Indianisation of Valentine's Day". The New Indian Express. February 15, 2011.
- Dahat, Pavan (2015-02-07). "Valentine's Day to be Parents' Day in Chhattisgarh". The Hindu.
- Bhattacharya, D.P. (January 29, 2012). "Worship parents on Valentine's Day, says Asaram Bapu". India Today.
- "It's official: Chhattisgarh renames Valentines Day as 'Matru-Pitru Diwas' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- Newsd (2019-02-14). "Valentine's Day sounds too mainstream? Celebrate Matra Pitra Pujan Diwas this time". News and Analysis from India. A Refreshing approach to news. Retrieved 2020-01-01.
- Network, Monitor News. "'Parents Worship Day' as substitute of 'Valentine Day' - JK MONITOR". jkmonitor.org.
- Dahat, Pavan (2015-02-07). "Valentine's Day to be Parents' Day in Chhattisgarh". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2020-01-01.
- "Parents Worship Day: After Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand To Implement Jailed Godman Asaram's Advice". www.outlookindia.com. 2017-12-24.
- प्रियदर्शी, राजेश (2017-02-14). "आसाराम बापू का वेलेंटाइंस डे आइडिया" [Asaram Bapu's Valentine's Day idea]. BBC News हिंदी.
- Bhardwaj, Ashutosh (February 13, 2012). "V-Day to be Matri-Pitra Divas in Chhattisgarh schools". Indian Express.
- Chhattisgarh CM declares Valentine's Day as 'Matru-Pitru Diwas'" (February 9, 2015). India Today. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- Kishore, Lalit (February 13, 2013). "Chhattisgarh makes Parents Worship Day a compulsory observance in schools on February 14". Meri News. Archived from the original on October 18, 2013.
- Singha, Minati (February 15, 2013). "Children 'worship' parents, teachers". The Times of India.
- "'Kids' future brightened by parents' blessings'". The Pioneer. Bhubaneswar, Odisha. 2017-02-15.
- "It's official: Chhattisgarh renames V-Day as 'Matru-Pitru Diwas'". The Times of India. February 7, 2015.
- "Matru-Pitru Pujan Diwas in Kurla today". www.afternoondc.in. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- "Matru-Pitru Pujan Diwas Celebrated With Fervour Throughout the Nation -- NEW DELHI, February 18, 2014 /PR Newswire India/ --". www.prnewswire.co.in. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- "Sanatan Dharam Sabha to celebrate 'Parents Worship Day' on Feb 14". Daily Excelsior. 11 February 2015.
- "Sanatan Sabha to celebrate Parents Worship Day". State Times. February 9, 2016.
- "Sanatan Dharam Sabha Celebrates "Matra Pitra Poojan Diwas"". The Mandate. 14 February 2017.
- "Collector in Madhya Pradesh asks people to worship their parents on Valentine's Day". The Indian Express. 2017-02-10.
- "Madhya Pradesh: Chhindwara collector asks people to worship their parents on Valentine's Day". The Financial Express. 10 February 2017.
- "Parents Worship Day: After Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand To Implement Jailed Godman Asaram's Advice". outlookindia. 2017-12-24.
- "Now, 'parent puja' in Jharkhand schools to teach kids respect - Times of India". The Times of India. 2017-12-24.
- Feb 15, TNN | Updated; 2018; Ist, 6:29. "valentine day: Parents' Worship Day observed as Valentine Day counter | Ahmedabad News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2020-01-01.
- "Gujarat minister Bhupendrasinh Chudasama praises rape-convict Asaram's ashram for planning 'Matru-Pitru Divas' on 14 February". Firstpost. Retrieved 2020-01-03.
- "This Valentine's Day, Hindu hardliners to preach message of love — with a twist". The Indian Express. 2015-02-06. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- "Worship your parents on Valentine's Day, MP Collector issues notice". Zee News. 2017-02-10.
- "Valentine's Day renamed as 'Matru-Pitru Diwas' in Chhattisgarh". indiatvnews.com. 2015-02-07.
- "वैलंटाइंस डे पर कलेक्टर का नोटिस, मातृ-पितृ पूजन दिवस मनाओ - Navbharat Times" [Collector Notice - Celebrate Matru Pitru Pujan Diwas]. Navbharat Times. 2017-02-10.
- DelhiFebruary 9, IndiaToday in New; February 9, 2015UPDATED; Ist, 2015 15:58. "Chhattisgarh CM declares Valentine's Day as 'Matru-Pitru Diwas'". India Today. Retrieved 2020-01-04.
- "Parents Worship Day is taking over Valentine's Day on Twitter: What is it all about?". Hindustan Times. 2020-02-14. Retrieved 2020-02-18.
- "Muslim students express love for parents - Ahmedabad Mirror". Ahmedabad Mirror. 2016-02-15.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Parents' Worship Day; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.