The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Paris Jam Session
|Paris Jam Session|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||18 December 1959|
680 207 TL
|Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers chronology|
Paris Jam Session is a live album by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers with guest appearances by Bud Powell and Barney Wilen, recorded at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées in Paris on 18 December 1959. It was released by Fontana (France) originally, by EmArcy in 1961, and subsequently by Verve on CD as part of their Jazz in Paris series.
Allmusic gave the album 4½ stars with Ken Dryden's review stating: "This is one of the essential live dates in Art Blakey's rather extensive discography". The Guardian's John Fordham rated the album 3 stars out of 5, saying, "the heated live-show informality is really stoked by Blakey's elemental (or maybe just mental) drumming and some spine-tingling improvising by the young Wayne Shorter, unintentional reed-squeaks and all".
- "Dance of the Infidels" (Bud Powell) — 12:26
- "Bouncing with Bud" (Gil Fuller, Powell) — 11:38
- "The Midget" (Lee Morgan) — 11:06
- "A Night in Tunisia" (Dizzy Gillespie, Frank Paparelli) — 7:02
- Art Blakey – drums
- Lee Morgan – trumpet
- Barney Wilen – alto sax (tracks 1-2 only)
- Wayne Shorter – tenor sax
- Bud Powell – piano (tracks 1-2 only)
- Walter Davis Jr. – piano (tracks 3-4 only)
- Jymie Merritt – bass
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Paris Jam Session; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.