The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Born||(1918-07-22)22 July 1918
Erie, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Died||16 August 2004(2004-08-16) (aged 86)|
Perry Wayne Bauman (22 July 1918 – 16 August 2004) was an oboist, born and educated in the United States and active in Canada. He served as the principal oboe of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, the CBC Symphony Orchestra, the orchestra of the National Ballet of Canada, and the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. Bauman taught at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto and the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario.
Perry Bauman was born in Erie, Pennsylvania. In 1920, the family moved to Dorset, Ohio, not far from Erie. Bauman began playing saxophone in school band, later switching to the oboe. He competed in band championships, and shortly before he turned 17 he won a national championship on the oboe. This title earned him a place at the Curtis Institute of Music, where he studied the oboe with Marcel Tabuteau from 1937 to 1942.
In 1940, Bauman moved to Toronto to become the principal oboe with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra (TSO). He continued with the TSO until 1956, then re-joined them again from 1964 to 1971 as co-principal, and occasionally in 1982–1984. He was also principal oboe with the CBC Symphony Orchestra for its entire existence from 1952 to 1964, and with the orchestra of the National Ballet of Canada from 1960 to 1966.
In 1956, Bauman founded the Toronto Woodwind Quintet with Gordon Day (flute), Ezra Schabas (clarinet), Eugene Rittich (horn), and Nicholas Kilburn (bassoon). Bauman performed with the quintet until 1971, when Melvin Berman took over the oboe chair.
- "Best High School Oboist Boasted by Ohio Town". The Indianapolis Star. Indianapolis, Indiana. 14 July 1935. p. 25. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- Storch, Laila (2008). Marcel Tabuteau: How Do You Expect to Play the Oboe If You Can't Peel a Mushroom?. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. p. 193. ISBN 978-0-253-34949-1.
- Schabas, Ezra (1994). Sir Ernest MacMillan: The Importance of Being Canadian. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. p. 177.
- Warren, Richard S. (2002). Begins with the Oboe: A History of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. p. 230.
- "Where Are They Now". National Ballet of Canada. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- McGregor, Nancy (15 December 2013). "Toronto Woodwind Quintet". The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- "Perry Bauman". The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. 15 December 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Perry Bauman; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.