The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Philip Charles Anglim
(1952-02-11) February 11, 1952
|Alma mater||Yale University (B.A., 1973)|
Philip Charles Anglim (born February 11, 1952) is an American actor. He is best known for his performance as Joseph Merrick in the stage and television versions of The Elephant Man, a role for which he received a Best Actor nomination in the 1979 Tony Awards. Other notable roles include the title role in Macbeth on Broadway and Dane O'Neill, the ill-fated love child who grew up to follow in his unknown father's footsteps on the path to the priesthood in the television mini-series The Thorn Birds. He also had a recurring guest role as the Bajoran priest Vedek Bareil on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
Anglim was born in San Francisco, California. His father, a Catholic of Irish descent, worked as a patent attorney, and his mother, Paule Anglim, was of French and Jewish descent and was a San Francisco art dealer. He originally aspired to become a veterinarian, but after he was asked to appear in a play by one of his teachers, he switched to acting. Anglim graduated with a bachelor's degree in English literature from Yale University in 1973. Subsequently, Anglim spent a year in Connecticut at the Southbury Playhouse.
His feature film debut was in The All-American Boy (1973), and his first television appearance was in the PBS The Adams Chronicles (1976). In 1979, while still an unknown, Anglim optioned the London play The Elephant Man, and debuted off-Broadway at St. Peter's Church. It later moved to The Booth Theater on Broadway in 1979, and earned several awards. He performed as Macbeth on Broadway in 1981 (in which he was replaced by Kelsey Grammer) and again on TV in 1982. In 1982, Anglim appeared in the ABC television version of The Elephant Man, and earned an Emmy nomination for Best Actor for the performance.
Anglim also maintains a cattle farm in Tennessee, and in 1992, founded The Lewis County Children's Fund to help children in the area.
All of the following were for his performance in The Elephant Man:
- 1979 Outstanding Actor in a Play, Drama Desk Award
- 1979 nomination for Best Actor, Tony Awards
- 1979 Theatre World Award
- 1978-1979 OBIE Award Performance
- 1982 nomination, Emmy Award
- 1982 nomination, Golden Globe 
- Dramalogue award, Lonely Planet
- What the Butler Saw, 1975, Cincinnati
- The Contrast, 1975, Cincinnati
- Snow White, 1976, New York
- The Elephant Man (1977)
- Macbeth, 1981, New York
- The Elephant Man (1982) as John Merrick
- Haunted Summer as Lord Byron
- The Man Inside as Rolf Gruel
- The Thorn Birds as Dane O'Neill
- Dallas reunion War of the Ewings
- Millennium episode "Sacrament"
- Macbeth (title role)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine appearances
- "In the Hands of the Prophets"
- "The Circle"
- "The Siege"
- "The Collaborator"
- "Life Support"
- "Philip Anglim Had to Go Through Contortions to Import and Star in 'the Elephant Man'". People. December 10, 1979. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Philip Anglim; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.