The image is from Wikipedia Commons
President of Northern Cyprus
|President of the
Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Kuzey Kıbrıs Türk Cumhuriyeti Cumhurbaşkanı
|Term length||5 years|
|Inaugural holder||Rauf Denktaş|
|Formation||15 November 1983|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The president of Northern Cyprus is the head of state of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. Rauf Denktaş was the first and founding president of Northern Cyprus, and retired in 2005. His position was taken over by Mehmet Ali Talat, followed by Derviş Eroğlu, then Mustafa Akinci, and the current president, Ersin Tatar.
The president is elected every five years. Presidential elections are held in two rounds if no candidate gains more than 50% of the votes in the first round. It is necessary that the president is originated from the island of Cyprus. It is also necessary that he/she has lived in the country for five years, has received secondary education and he/she is over 30 years old.
The presidency is not a ceremonial position in the semi-presidential political system of Northern Cyprus. The president reserves the right to dismiss the Assembly of the Republic in case a government cannot be formed within sixty days or three successive governments receive votes of no confidence. They also can preside over the Council of Ministers if they wish to do so, approve the appointments of the judges and president of the Supreme Court and have the right to send laws approved by the Assembly of the Republic to the Supreme Court. The president has also traditionally been the chief negotiator for the resolution of the Cyprus dispute and been responsible for the foreign relations of Northern Cyprus.
|Portrait||Elected||Term of office||Political origin|
|15 November 1983||24 April 2005||National Unity Party|
|2||Mehmet Ali Talat
|2005||24 April 2005||23 April 2010||Republican Turkish Party|
|2010||23 April 2010||30 April 2015||National Unity Party|
|2015||30 April 2015||23 October 2020||Independent|
|2020||23 October 2020||Incumbent||National Unity Party|
|Candidate||Party||First round||Second round|
|Ersin Tatar||National Unity Party||35,825||32.35||67,322||51.69|
|Tufan Erhürman||Republican Turkish Party||24,008||21.68|
|Erhan Arıklı||Rebirth Party||5,937||5.36|
|Fuat Türköz Çiner||Nationalist Democracy Party||327||0.30|
|Arif Salih Kırdağ||Independent||282||0.25|
|Source: Kibris Online, Kibris Online|
- Northern Cyprus's new president: Enter Eroglu (The Economist) Retrieved on 2011-06-01.
- "KKTC hakkında, Cumhubaşkanı (About the TRNC, the President)". TRNC Department of Promotion. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- "KKTC Devleti Fonksiyonel - Kurumsal Gözden Geçirme Çalışması" (PDF) (in Turkish). The Economic Policy Research Foundation of Turkey. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- Ersin Tatar elected new Turkish Cypriot leader
- "New Turkish Cypriot leader determined to work with Turkey". Anadolu Agency. Retrieved 19 October 2020.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article President of Northern Cyprus; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.