The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Born||(1946-12-12)12 December 1946
Ziano di Fiemme, Italy
|Died||15 May 2015(2015-05-15) (aged 68)
|Formula One World Championship career|
|Teams||Williams, Wolf–Williams, Shadow|
|First entry||1975 Italian Grand Prix|
|Last entry||1977 Spanish Grand Prix|
Zorzi began his racing career in Formula Three in 1972, driving various cars with little success. In 1974 he switched to a GRD, and won the Monaco Formula Three race in 1975. This helped him towards a couple of races for Frank Williams Racing Cars and Wolf–Williams Racing in Formula One, before his sponsorship funds ran out. In 1977 he raced with Shadow, backed by their Italian sponsor Franco Ambrosio. Despite finishing sixth at the 1977 Brazilian Grand Prix and earning a World Championship point, he was dropped from the team after five races and replaced by Riccardo Patrese.
He was indirectly involved in a horrific accident during the 1977 South African Grand Prix, after he retired his car when a split fuel pipe caused an engine fire. While Zorzi dealt with the fire with his on-board extinguisher, two fire marshals ran across the track and one, Frederick Jansen Van Vuuren, was struck and killed by the car of Zorzi's teammate Tom Pryce, who was also killed.
Complete Formula One World Championship results
|1975||Frank Williams Racing Cars||Williams FW03||Ford Cosworth DFV 3.0 V8||ARG||BRA||RSA||ESP||MON||BEL||SWE||NED||FRA||GBR||GER||AUT||ITA
|1976||Frank Williams Racing Cars||Wolf–Williams FW04||Ford Cosworth DFV 3.0 V8||BRA
|1977||Shadow Racing Team||Shadow DN5B||Ford Cosworth DFV 3.0 V8||ARG
- "Renzo Zorzi". gp.com. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "The World Championship drivers – Where are they now?". oldracingcars.com. Retrieved 2007-01-11.
- Nugnes, Franco (2015-05-15). "Addio a Renzo Zorzi, un campione incompreso". omnicorse.it (in Italian). OmniCorse. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
- Obituary: Renzo Zorzi 1946–2015
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Renzo Zorzi; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.