The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Born||(1923-03-23)23 March 1923
|Died||9 July 1979(1979-07-09) (aged 56)
Roddy McMillan (23 March 1923 – 9 July 1979) was a Scottish actor and playwright, possibly most famous for his comedy role as Para Handy for BBC Scotland's television series, The Vital Spark. He also played the lead role in Edward Boyd's private eye series, The View from Daniel Pike.
The Glasgow-born McMillan's earliest theatre work began in the mid-1940s with the Glasgow Unity Theatre. Later that decade, he began acting with the Glasgow Citizen's Company before moving on to Edinburgh's Gateway Theatre in the mid-1950s.
He also performed in his own play, The Bevellers, which achieved success in performance at the Citizens Theatre in Glasgow during 1973 and then as a televised Play for Today for BBC. McMillan also played Detective Inspector "Choc" Minty in the late 1970s private eye series, Hazell, starring Nicholas Ball.
Roddy McMillan died following a heart attack, aged 56, not long after completing filming on the second series of Hazell.
|1950||The Gorbals Story||Hector|
|1950||Morning Departure||Leading Seaman Andrews|
|1952||You're Only Young Twice||Milligan|
|1953||Laxdale Hall||Willie John Watt|
|1954||The Maggie||Inverkerran Driver|
|1958||Cat & Mouse||Mr. Pomeroy|
|1959||The Bridal Path||Murdo|
|1960||The Battle of the Sexes||Macleod|
|1960||The Big Day||Bob|
|1962||A Prize of Arms||Sgt. McVie|
|1962||The Amorous Prawn||Pvt. McTavish|
|1963||The Mouse on the Moon||Benter|
|1969||Ring of Bright Water||Busdriver|
|1972||Chato's Land||Gavin Malechie|
- "Roddy McMillan". BFI.
- "The show may not go on as theatre fails to track down writer's daughters". www.scotsman.com.
- "The View from Daniel Pike". 18 November 1971. p. 65 – via BBC Genome.
- Craig, Cairns; Stevens, Randall (1 July 2010). "Twentieth Century Scottish Drama". Canongate Books – via Google Books.
- "STA Catalogue: Roddy McMillan". University of Glasgow Special Collections. Retrieved 14 June 2009.
- "The Bevellers (1974)". BFI.
- "BFI Screenonline: Hazell (1978-80)". www.screenonline.org.uk.
- "'Tough guy' TV actor dies at 56". The Guardian. 10 July 1979.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Roddy McMillan; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.