The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Russell Shorto (born February 8, 1959) is an American author, historian and journalist, best known for his book on the Dutch origins of New York City, The Island at the Center of the World. Shorto's research for this book relied greatly on the work of the New Netherland Project (now known as the New Netherland Research Center) and the New Netherland Institute. Shorto is the New Netherland Research Center's 2013 Senior Scholar.
His most recent work, published in November 2017, is Revolution Song: A Story of American Freedom, which tells the story of the American Revolution through the eyes of four Americans from vastly different walks of life.
Born in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, on February 8, 1959, Shorto is a 1981 graduate of George Washington University. He is a contributing writer for The New York Times Magazine and was (from 2008–13) director of the John Adams Institute in Amsterdam, where he lived for 6 years, from 2007-13.As of 2014, Shorto resides in Cumberland, Maryland, where he is working on his next book, a narrative history of the American Revolution.
On September 8, 2009, Shorto received a Dutch knighthood in the Order of Orange-Nassau for strengthening the relationship between the Netherlands and the United States through his publications and as Director of the John Adams Institute.
- Revolution Song: A Story of American Freedom ISBN 978-0-393-24554-7 (New York, W. W. Norton & Company, November 7, 2017).
- Amsterdam: A History of the World's Most Liberal City ISBN 978-1-408-70348-9 (New York, Doubleday, October 2013).
- Descartes' Bones: A Skeletal History of the Conflict Between Faith and Reason ISBN 978-0-385-51753-9 (New York, Random House, October 14, 2008).
- The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony that Shaped America ISBN 0-385-50349-0 (New York, Doubleday, 2004).
- Saints and Madmen: How Pioneering Psychiatrists Are Creating a New Science of the Soul ISBN 0-8050-5902-4 (New York, Henry Holt & Company, 1999).
- Gospel Truth: The New Image of Jesus Emerging from Science and History, and Why It Matters ISBN 1-57322-056-6 (New York, Riverhead Books, 1997).
- Russell Shorto, The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony that Shaped America. First Edition. New York City: Vintage Books (a Division of Random House, 2004; ISBN 1-4000-7867-9
- "New Netherland Research Center". Newnetherlandinstitute.org. Retrieved June 6, 2017.
- "Home". New Netherland Institute. Retrieved June 6, 2017.
- "Contributors: Russell Shorto", National Geographic Traveler, Vol. 31 No. 5, August/September 2014, at page 6.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Russell Shorto; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.