The image is from Wikipedia Commons
São Miguel das Missões
São Miguel das Missões
Gateway to the city of São Miguel das Missões
Location in Rio Grande do Sul state
|State||Rio Grande do Sul|
|• Mayor||Mayor (prefeito) (Hilário Casarin)|
|• Total||1,246 km2 (481 sq mi)|
|Elevation||305 m (1,001 ft)|
|• Density||6.2/km2 (16/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-03:00 (BRT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-02:00 (BRST)|
|UNESCO World Heritage Site|
|Part of||Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis|
|Inscription||1983 (7th session)|
São Miguel das Missões is a municipality in Rio Grande do Sul state, southern Brazil. Important 17th century Spanish Jesuit mission ruins are located in the municipality. San Miguel Mission is within Santo Ângelo Microregion, and the Riograndense Northwest Mesoregion. The city covers 1,246 square kilometres (481 sq mi) and had a population of 7,683 residents.
Mission São Miguel das Missões
The town grew around the Spanish colonial Jesuit Reduction, Mission San Miguel Arcángel, founded in 1632. After becoming part of Brazil it was renamed Mission São Miguel das Missões.
The Mission Museum (Museu das Missões) is a history museum located in São Miguel Mission.
The creation of the museum was one of the first initiatives of the Office of Historical and Artistic Heritage, today IPHAN. In 1937 the SPHAN was created and in the same year, the architect Lucio Costa was sent to Rio Grande do Sul to analyze the remains of the ruins of the Seven Peoples of the Missions, and propose measures. One of his proposals was to create a museum to house the statues missionaries dispersed throughout the region. In 1938, the remnants of the town of San Miguel and the museum building were listed as National Heritage, and in 1940, the Museum of the Missions was officially established.
Between 1938 and 1940, the architect Lucas Mayerhofer directed the stabilization works in the mission Church of San Miguel, the construction of the museum building, and was in charge of gathering the works of statuary.
Currently listed in the museum's collection are religious images from the time of installation of the Jesuit missions in the region.
- Spanish Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis-related topics
- Governorate of Paraguay
- Misiones Orientales
- Governorate of the Río de la Plata
- Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata
- São Miguel das Missões travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis: Ruins of São Miguel das Missões UNESCO property on google arts and culture
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article São Miguel das Missões; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.