The image is from Wikipedia Commons
S-DMB (Satellite-DMB) is a hybrid version of the Digital Multimedia Broadcasting. The S-DMB uses the S band (2170-2200 MHz) of IMT-2000. and delivers around 18 channels at 128 kbit/s in 15 MHz. It incorporates a high power geostationary satellite, the MBSat 1. For outdoor and light indoor coverage is integrated with a terrestrial repeater (low power gap-filler) network for indoor coverage in urban areas.
On May 1, 2005 South Korea became the first country in the world to start S-DMB service. The service provider was TU Media, subsidiary of SK Telecom. The same satellite and system was used in Japan on the defunct MobaHo! service (2004–2009) of Mobile Broadcasting Corporation (MBCO).
S-DMB Supported Devices
- All the SCH-B Series. (E.g., SCH-B500,SCH-B540,SCH-B600,SCH-B890)
- SCH-M495 (Omnia)
- SB310, SB210, SH150
- Video Channels contain about 20 channels featuring news, sports, movies, animations, dramas, and educational programs. (E.g. CNN, National Geographic Channels, BBC.)
- Audio Channels contain about 13 various channels including English channels. Sound quality is near CD quality at AAC 128kbit/s.
- Extra 2 Pay Per View (PPV) channels for movies and adult channel.
(TU Basic Monthly fee is US approx. USD $9 = Korean Won at 11,000. However, if you are SK Telecom customer there is extra 6,000 won discount.)
- TU Media (The First S-DMB Provider In South Korea)
- DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting)
- DMB (Digital Multimedia Broadcasting)
- DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale)
- CMMB (China Multimedia Mobile Broadcasting)
- Multimedia Broadcast Multicast Service
- Satellite radio
- Satellite television
- ‹See Tfd›(in Italian) Indagine conoscitiva sulla fornitura di servizi televisivi in mobilità from Autorità per le Garanzie nelle Comunicazioni
- WinProp for the Planning of S-DMB Networks
- IST MoDiS
- IST MoDiS - S-DMB System Definition[permanent dead link]
- ESA Telecommunications: S-DMB Radio Phase A
- Development of an Integrated RF Module
- 3G - Satellite DMB for Wireless
- AsiaMedia - Satellite DMB soars, terrestrial DMB struggles
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article S-DMB; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.