The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Saint Kitts and Nevis passport
|Saint Kitts and Nevis passport|
The front cover of a contemporary Saint Kitts and Nevis biometric passport.
|Issued by||Saint Kitts and Nevis|
|First issued||11 November 2010 (current version)|
|Eligibility||Saint Kitts and Nevis citizenship|
The Saint Kitts and Nevis passport is issued to citizens of Saint Kitts and Nevis for international travel. Prior to 1983, Saint Kitts and Nevis was an associated state of the United Kingdom. The passport is a Caricom passport as Saint Kitts and Nevis is a member of the Caribbean Community.
In 1984, Saint Kitts and Nevis introduced an Immigrant investor program, As of March 2015[update], Saint Kitts and Nevis is the most popular place to buy a passport; for $150,000 a family of four buy visa-free travel to 132 countries, with no requirement to live in or even visit the country. There is limited disclosure of financial information, and both income and capital gains are tax-free.
In May 2014, the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network issued a warning that St. Kitts and Nevis had granted passports to foreign individuals who have abused the Citizenship-by-Investment program sponsored "for the purpose of engaging in illicit financial activity." In November 2014, Canada announced it was requiring St. Kitts citizens to obtain a visa from 22 November 2014, due to concerns about “identity management practices within its Citizenship by Investment program.” Following the announcement, the government of St. Kitts and Nevis initiated a recall on all biometric passports issued between January 2012 and July 2014, and replaced them with new passports which showed the holder's place of birth as well as any previous name changes. Any passports not returned by 31 January 2015 were cancelled by the government.
The investment programme that offers St. Kitts and Nevis citizenship is one of the longest-standing programs. The country opened its doors to foreign investors in 1984. Since this time, they have continued to offer their citizenship to those that are qualified and who have donated a significant amount of capital into the economy. St Kitts and Nevis also offers a fast track service to clients, including the issuance of passports which previously had been subject to lengthy delays.
As of March 2019, Saint Kitts and Nevis citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 152 countries and territories, ranking the Saint Kitts and Nevis passport 53th in terms of travel freedom according to the Henley & Partners Visa Restrictions Index.
- "Passports for a Price". Bloomberg Business. Bloomberg L.P. 2015-03-11. Retrieved 2015-03-15.
- "Abuse of the Citizenship-by-Investment Program Sponsored by the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis". Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. 2014-05-20. Archived from the original on 2015-03-21. Retrieved 2015-03-15.
- "Notice – St. Kitts and Nevis citizens now need a visa to travel to Canada". Government of Canada. 2014-11-22. Retrieved 2015-03-15.
- "St Kitts and Nevis recalls passports over security concerns from Canada and US". South China Morning Post. 2014-12-08. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "St Kitts and Nevis Citizenship Investment Unit Announces an Accelerated Application Process at CBI in Dubai". St Kitts and Nevis Realty. 2016-10-18. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- "Global Ranking - Visa Restriction Index 2019" (PDF). Henley & Partners. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Saint Kitts and Nevis passport; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.