The image is from Wikipedia Commons
The Saskatoon Sheiks/Saskatoon Crescents were a professional ice hockey team in the Western Canada Hockey League (WCHL) and Prairie Hockey League (PrHL) from 1921 to 1928. The team played their home games at the Crescent Arena in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
The team was reorganized as the Saskatoon Crescents Hockey Club in April 1922. Frederick E. Betts was appointed chairman of the team's management committee, made the final decision on player contracts, and had a policy of not making statements to the media until a deal was final. Betts signed ten new players to contracts by November in addition to three players who returned from the previous season. He sought to sign Newsy Lalonde from the Montreal Canadiens, and was willing to buy Lalonde's release pending all other National Hockey League clubs waiving their right to claim him. Betts later agreed to trade the rights to highly-touted prospect Aurèle Joliat to bring Lalonde to the Crescents as the team's player-coach for the season. The Crescents won eight of thirty games played, placed fourth during the 1922–23 WCHL season and did not qualify for the playoffs, despite that Lalonde led the league with 30 goals scored.
Note: W = Wins, L = Losses, T = Ties, GF= Goals For, GA = Goals Against, Pts = Points
|1921–22||Saskatoon Sheiks/Moose Jaw Sheiks||(WCHL)||24||5||19||0||10||67||137||4th in WCHL|
|1922–23||Saskatoon Crescents||(WCHL)||30||8||20||2||18||91||125||4th in WCHL|
|1923–24||Saskatoon Sheiks||(WCHL)||30||15||12||3||33||91||73||3rd in WCHL|
|1924–25||Saskatoon Sheiks||(WCHL)||28||16||11||1||33||102||75||2nd in WCHL||Lost in Semi-finals|
|1925–26||Saskatoon Sheiks||(WHL)||30||18||11||1||37||93||64||2nd in WHL||Lost in Semi-Finals|
|1926–27||Saskatoon Sheiks||(PrHL)||32||14||16||2||30||110||117||2nd in PrHL|
|1927–28||Saskatoon Sheiks||(PrHL)||28||18||5||5||41||86||39||1st in PrHL|
- Bun Cook
- Bill Cook
- Harry Cameron
- Corbett Denneny
- Tommy Dunderdale
- George Hainsworth
- Newsy Lalonde
- Rube Brandow
- "Saskatoon Crescent Hockey Club Has Been Reorganized". Edmonton Journal. Edmonton, Alberta. April 26, 1922. p. 21.
- "Saskatoon Quite Satisfield With The Hockey Plan". Calgary Herald. Calgary, Alberta. August 26, 1922. p. 20.
- "Hockey Notes". Medicine Hat News. Medicine Hat, Alberta. November 2, 1922. p. 2.
- "Want Lalonde In East and He May Not Come West". Brandon Daily Sun. Brandon, Manitoba. October 7, 1922. p. 3.
- "Lalonde Safe In the Fold of Crescents". Calgary Herald. Calgary, Alberta. November 4, 1922. p. 29.
- "1922–23 Western Canada Hockey League Standings". Hockey Database. Retrieved April 19, 2021.
- "WCHL 1922–23 League Leaders". Hockey Database. Retrieved April 19, 2021.
- "New Company May Take Over Local Pro Team". Saskatoon Daily Star. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. May 26, 1923. p. 12.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Saskatoon Sheiks; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.