The image is from Wikipedia Commons
List of fires in high-rise buildings
A skyscraper fire or high-rise fire is a class of structural fire specific to tall buildings. Skyscraper fires are technically challenging for fire departments: they require unusually high degrees of organization and cooperation between participating firefighting units to contain and extinguish. Skyscraper fires are often multiple-alarm fires.
Notable fires in history
|Central Tower||91m||San Francisco||United States||April 18, 1906||?||Burned in the aftermath of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake|
|Merchants Exchange Building||69m||San Francisco||April 18, 1906||?||Burned in the aftermath of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake|
|Old Chronicle Building||95m||San Francisco||April 18, 1906||?||Burned in the aftermath of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake|
|Mutual Bank Building||San Francisco||April 18, 1906||?||Burned in the aftermath of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake|
|Asch Building||48m||New York City||March 25, 1911||146||Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire|
|The Sherry-Netherland||171m||New York City||April 12, 1927||0||Occurred during construction|
|Empire State Building||381m||New York City||July 28, 1945||14||Plane crash|
|40 Wall Street||283m||New York City||May 20, 1946||5||Plane crash|
|La Salle Hotel||Chicago||June 5, 1946||61||Electrical fire likely|
|Winecoff Hotel||59m||Atlanta||December 7, 1946||119||Deadliest hotel fire in U.S. history|
|Ronan Point||64m||London||United Kingdom||May 16, 1968||4||Gas explosion caused partial collapse of the highrise.|
|1 New York Plaza||192m||New York City||United States||August 5, 1970||2|
|Taeyongak Hotel||72.6m||Seoul||South Korea||December 25, 1971||163||Daeyeonggak Hotel fire, deadliest hotel fire in history|
|Andraus Building||115m||São Paulo||Brazil||February 24, 1972||16|
|Rault Tower||New Orleans||United States||November 29, 1972||6|
|Avianca Building||Bogotá||Colombia||July 23, 1973||4|
|City-Haus||142m||Frankfurt||Germany||August 23, 1973||0||Occurred during construction|
|Joelma Building||82.5m||São Paulo||Brazil||February 1, 1974||179–189||Joelma fire|
|One World Trade Center||417m||New York City||United States||February 13, 1975||0|
|Campbell Shopping Complex||66m||Kuala Lumpur||Malaysia||April 8, 1976||1||Campbell Shopping Complex fire|
|Bank Bumiputra||Kuala Lumpur||November 4, 1980|
|MGM Grand Hotel||85.8m||Las Vegas||United States||November 21, 1980||84||MGM Grand fire|
|Las Vegas Hilton||114m||Las Vegas||February 10, 1981||8||Arson|
|Torre Santa María||Santiago||Chile||March 21, 1981||11||Occurred when carpet glue ignited during carpet installation.|
|Al Rasheed Hotel||59.4m||Baghdad||Iraq||July 21, 1982||1||Plane crash-Suicide by F-4 Phantom during Iran-Iraq War|
|Northwestern National Bank||52.8m||Minneapolis||United States||November 25–26, 1982||0||Minneapolis Thanksgiving Day fire|
|KOMTAR||248.7m||Penang||Malaysia||January 23, 1983||0|
|Prudential Tower||276m||Boston||United States||January 2, 1986||0||A nine-alarm fire in the building spread because of the lack of a sprinkler system.|
|Dupont Plaza Hotel||Condado, Puerto Rico||United States||December 31, 1986||97||Dupont Plaza Hotel arson|
|Schomburg Plaza||New York City||United States||March 22, 1987||7|
|Hotel International||85m||Zurich||Switzerland||February 14, 1988||6||Deadliest high-rise fire in Swiss history|
|First Interstate Tower||261.52m||Los Angeles||United States||May 4, 1988||1||First Interstate Tower fire|
|Peachtree 25th Building||33m||Atlanta||June 30, 1989||1|
|One Meridian Plaza||150m||Philadelphia||February 23–24, 1991||3||Occurred when rags ignited, fire spread uncontrollably after all fire protection systems failed. Later torn down.|
|UNITIC Twin Towers||105.5m||Sarajevo||Bosnia and Herzegovina||May 28, 1992||Burned after being repeatedly hit by Serbian incendiary tank shells.|
|Executive Council Building||69.3m||Sarajevo||May 28, 1992||Burned after being repeatedly hit by Serbian incendiary tank shells.|
|Groeneveen and Kruitberg||33m||Amsterdam||Netherlands||October 4, 1992||43||El Al Flight 1862 plane crash, Partial collapse|
|One World Trade Center||417m||New York City||United States||February 26, 1993||6||Bombing which also resulted in 1,042 smoke related injuries|
|Stratosphere Tower||350.2m||Las Vegas||August 30, 1993||0||Occurred during construction|
|White House (Moscow)||Moscow||Russia||October 8, 1993||187||Caught fire from tank shelling during the 1993 Russian constitutional crisis|
|Hotel Olympik||73m||Prague||Czech Republic||May 25, 1995||8|
|Tower 42||183m||London||United Kingdom||January 17, 1996||0||Occurred during refurbishment|
|Garley building||52.8m||Hong Kong||Hong Kong||November 20, 1996||41||1996 Garley Building fire|
|Ušće Tower||115m||Belgrade||Serbia and Montenegro||April 21, 1999||0||Struck by NATO air strikes during the Kosovo War setting the upper floors on fire.|
|Immigration Tower||181m||Hong Kong||Hong Kong||August 2, 2000||2||Arson|
|Ostankino Tower||540.1m||Moscow||Russia||August 27, 2000||3||Tallest structure in Europe|
|1 and 2 World Trade Center||417m / 415.1m||New York City||United States||September 11, 2001||2312||Plane crashes in the September 11 attacks, causing full structural collapse.|
|7 World Trade Center||190m||New York City||September 11, 2001||0||Full structural collapse caused by debris from the collapse of Building 1 (North tower) of the World Trade Center during the September 11 attacks.|
|90 West Street||98.76m||New York City||September 11, 2001||2||Caused by debris from the collapse of Building 2 (South Tower) of the World Trade Center: September 11 attacks|
|130 Cedar Street||50m||New York City||September 11, 2001||0||Caused by debris from the collapse of Building 2 (South Tower) of the World Trade Center: September 11 attacks|
|Pirelli Tower||127m||Milan||Italy||April 18, 2002||3||Plane crash|
|Cook County Administration Building||Chicago||United States||October 17, 2003||6||Seven other seriously injured, fire thought to have been arson|
|Al Rasheed Hotel||59.4m||Baghdad||Iraq||December 26, 2003||1||Twenty-eight 68 mm and 85 mm Katyusha rockets were fired at and struck the hotel|
|Parque Central Complex east tower||255m||Caracas||Venezuela||October 17, 2004||0||Damage to 34th-44th floors|
|LaSalle National Bank Building||163.1m||Chicago||United States||December 7, 2004||0||25 injured|
|Harrow Court||56.1m||Hertfordshire||United Kingdom||February 2, 2005||3||Harrow Court fire|
|Windsor Tower||106m||Madrid||Spain||February 12, 2005||0||Partially collapsed; subsequently demolished|
|Tohid Town Residential||33m||Tehran||Iran||December 6, 2005||106||Plane crash: 2005 Iranian Air Force C-130 crash|
|Transport Tower||112.2m||Astana||Kazakhstan||May 30, 2006||0||Fire destroyed upper floors of 34-story government building|
|Belaire Apartments||156m||New York City||United States||October 11, 2006||2||Plane crash|
|Fortune Tower||Dubai||United Arab Emirates||January 18, 2007||4||Occurred during construction, 57 injured|
|Shanghai World Financial Center||494.3m||Shanghai||China||August 14, 2007||0||Occurred on 40th floor during construction|
|Deutsche Bank Building||157.6m||New York City||United States||August 18, 2007||2||Occurred during dismantling, demolished due to damage from the September 11 attacks|
|The Water Club||125.4m||Atlantic City||September 23, 2007||0||Occurred during construction.|
|Monte Carlo Resort and Casino||110m||Las Vegas||January 25, 2008||0||Fire affecting top six floors|
|Abraj Al Bait Towers||601m||Mecca||Saudi Arabia||October 28, 2008||0||Occurred during construction; fire consumed nine floors|
|Beijing Television Cultural Center||159m||Beijing||China||February 9, 2009||1||Beijing Television Cultural Center fire|
|Bashundhara City Tower||62.7m||Dhaka||Bangladesh||March 13, 2009||4|
|Abraj Al Bait Towers||Mecca||Saudi Arabia||May 1, 2009||0||Occurred during construction|
|Lakanal House||46.2m||London||United Kingdom||July 3, 2009||6||Lakanal House fire|
|Wooshin Golden Suites||Busan||South Korea||September 1, 2010||0||Wooshin Golden Suites fire|
|Unnamed high-rise apartment block||85m||Shanghai||China||November 15, 2010||58||Occurred during renovation; 2010 Shanghai fire|
|Dynasty Wanxin building complex Towers A and B (Tower C was unaffected)||Shenyang||February 3, 2011||0||Started from fireworks during Chinese New Year Celebrations.|
|Unnamed Highrise||Hanoi||Vietnam||December 15, 2011||0||Fire occurred during construction, 11 workers injured.|
|Uncompleted high rise block||Kuala Lumpur||Malaysia||January 18, 2012||0|||
|Fico Place||Bangkok||Thailand||March 3, 2012||0||Two firemen injured|
|Federation Tower (East Tower)||450m||Moscow||Russia||April 2, 2012||0||Occurred while the building was under construction|
|Al Tayer Tower||Sharjah||United Arab Emirates||April 28, 2012||0|||
|Polat Tower Residence||138.6m||Istanbul||Turkey||July 17, 2012||0|||
|Tamweel Tower||160m||Dubai||United Arab Emirates||November 18, 2012||0|||
|Oko Tower 1||354.1m||Moscow||Russia||January 25, 2013||0||Fire occurred on 24th floor during construction, one worker was injured.|
|Torre Ejecutiva Pemex Tower||214m||Mexico City||Mexico||January 31, 2013||33||Gas explosion affecting the main building's 14 story annex Torre Ejecutiva Pemex explosion|
|Grozny-City Towers||150m||Grozny||Russia||April 3, 2013||0|||
|Jianye Mansion||Guangzhou||China||December 15, 2013||0|||
|The Strand||New York City||United States||January 5, 2014||1|||
|One57||410m||New York City||United States||March 15, 2014||0||Fire broke out in the loading dock, then spread to the courtyard and a neighboring property.|
|Lotus Park building||Mumbai||India||July 18, 2014||1|||
|Lacrosse Apartments||Melbourne||Australia||November 25, 2014||0||Fire started on an 8th floor balcony and rapidly spread up the facade cladding.|
|Wedgwood Apartments||Castle Hills, Texas||United States||December 28, 2014||5|||
|The Marina Torch||336.8m||Dubai||United Arab Emirates||February 21, 2015||0||At least 7 people were injured.|
|Wisma Kosgoro||Jakarta||Indonesia||March 10, 2015||0||Fire destroyed floors 16–20.|
|Unnamed Highrise||Baku||Azerbaijan||May 19, 2015||16||See 2015 Baku residence building fire|
|Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas||184m||Las Vegas||United States||July 25, 2015||0||Fire occurred on the pool deck fueled by cabanas and artificial trees; two people were treated for smoke inhalation.|
|Unnamed Residential Tower||Sharjah||United Arab Emirates||October 1, 2015||0||Fire burned building facade, 19 treated for smoke inhalation.|
|John Hancock Center||457m||Chicago||United States||November 21, 2015||0||A two-alarm fire broke out on the 50th floor. Five injured.|
|The Address Downtown Dubai||306.2m||Dubai||United Arab Emirates||December 31, 2015||1||Occurred on New Year's Eve, 14 injured.|
|Plasco Building||42m||Tehran||Iran||January 19, 2017||21||The 17-story building collapsed after a fire started on the ninth floor. Seventy injured.|
|Grenfell Tower||79.2m||London||United Kingdom||June 14, 2017||72||The 24-storey tower block fire spread from the second floor to the top of the building. See Grenfell Tower fire|
|Pamchal Chitgar Building||66m||Tehran||Iran||June 14, 2017||0||The residential 20-storey tower - four injured|
|Marco Polo Apartments||118.8m||Honolulu||United States||July 14, 2017||3||Blaze started on the 26th floor of the 36-story apartments. Fire quickly spread to three more floors, making it a 5-alarm fire. This is the deadliest high-rise fire in Hawaii's history.|
|Rotana Hotel Building||66m||Mashhad||Iran||July 22, 2017||0||Under construction 20-storey hotel|
|The Marina Torch||336.8m||Dubai||United Arab Emirates||August 4, 2017||0|
|Trump Tower||202m||New York City||United States||April 7, 2018||1||6 firefighters injured|
|Almas Tower||360m||Dubai||United Arab Emirates||April 22, 2018||0|
|Trump International Hotel and Tower (Baku)||108.9m||Baku||Azerbaijan||April 28, 2018||0||Involved two separate fires the same day|
|Wilton Paes de Almeida Building||79.2m||São Paulo||Brazil||April 30, 2018||1||Building collapsed shortly after blaze|
|Paramis Building||69.3m||Tehran||Iran||July 22, 2018||0||21-storey residential building|
|Bank of Lisbon building||108m||Johannesburg||South Africa||September 6, 2018||3||Building demolished/Imploded in 24 Nov 2019|
|FR Tower||Dhaka||Bangladesh||March 28, 2019||25||FR Tower fire|
|AXA Equitable Center||229.3m||New York City||United States||June 10, 2019||1||2019 New York City helicopter crash|
|Unnamed Highrise||47.9m||Prešov||Slovakia||December 6, 2019||8||40 injuries|
|Abbco Tower||United Arab Emirates||United Arab Emirates||May 5, 2020||1||25 injuries, likely started by a discarded cigarette or shisha coals|
|Unnamed Highrise||42.9m||Czech Republic||Czech Republic||August 9, 2020||11||Bohumín arson attack|
|Ulsan Samhwan Art Nouveau apartment building||108.9m||South Korea||South Korea||October 8, 2020||0||92 residents and 1 firefighter injured. Ulsan Samhwan Art Nouveau Fire|
|Torre dei Moro||60m||Milan||Italy||August 29, 2021||0||Fire event similar to the Grenfell Tower disaster|
|Cheng Chung Cheng Building||Kaohsiung||Taiwan||October 14, 2021||46||2021 Kaohsiung tower fire|
|World Trade Centre Hong Kong||Hong Kong||Hong Kong||December 15, 2021||0||13 injured, over 300 trapped on roof|
|Twin Parks North West, Site 4||New York City||United States||January 9, 2022||17||2022 Bronx apartment fire|
- Tower block
- Fire escape
- List of high-rise facade fires
- The Towering Inferno (film)
- "Central Tower, San Francisco". EMPORIS. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- "The Merchants Exchange, San Francisco". EMPORIS. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- "Ritz-Carlton Club and Residences, San Francisco". EMPORIS. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- "Brown Building, NYU, New York City". EMPORIS. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- "Hotel Sherry-Netherland, New York City". EMPORIS. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- "Empire State Building". The Skyscraper Center. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- "The Trump Building". The Skyscraper Center. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- "Ellis Hotel, Atlanta". EMPORIS. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- Griffiths, Hugh; Pugsley, Alfred; Saunders, Owen (14 October 1968). Report of the inquiry into the collapse of flats at Ronan Point, Canning Town. London: HMSO. pp. 10.
- "One New York Plaza". Wired New York. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- "Andraus, São Paulo". EMPORIS. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- "30 años del incendio de la Torre Santa María: testigos recuerdan la tragedia | Santiago | La Tercera Edición Impresa". Diario.latercera.com. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- "A nine-alarm fire broke out in the 52-story Prudential".
- "Archives". Los Angeles Times.
"30 years ago: 3 Philadelphia firefighters killed in One Meridian Plaza fire". 6abc Action News. 2021-02-28. Retrieved 2021-08-12.
- "6 die in Loop blaze". Chicago Tribune. 2003-10-18. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- "Loop fire deaths ruled homicides". Chicago Tribune. 2004-01-22. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- "Loop high-rise fire injures 25". Chicago Tribune. 2004-12-07. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- "Fire damages tower under construction at Borgata casino". New York Daily News. 2007-09-23. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- "Fireworks blaze destroys 5-star hotel in China - World news - Asia-Pacific - China". NBC News. 2011-02-03. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- "Skyscraper on fire, 11 injured in Vietnam capital | Society | Thanh Nien Daily". Thanhniennews.com. 2011-12-16. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- Daniel, Steven (2012-01-19). "Towering Inferno in KL". The Star. Archived from the original on 2012-01-20. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "Fico blaze prompts Bangkok City Hall sprinkler initiative | Bangkok". Bangkok.coconuts.co. 2012-03-06. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- Jacob, Allen; Abdullah, Afkar (2012-04-29). "Towering Inferno in Sharjah". Khaleej Times. Archived from the original on 2012-10-06. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "Large fire sweeps through Istanbul 42-storey building - BBC News". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-07-17. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- "JLT's Tamweel Tower fire: Residents recount waking up to nightmare - Emirates 24|7". Emirates247.com. 2012-11-19. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- Reuters Editorial (2013-01-25). "Blaze hits showcase skyscraper in Moscow". Reuters. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- "Archived copy". www.chinadaily.com.cn. Archived from the original on 17 November 2019. Retrieved 17 January 2022.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Fire in Luxury High-Rise Kills One and Displaces Dozens in Hell's Kitchen". The New York Times. 6 January 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Mumbai fire: Fireman killed in Mumbai high rise blaze | Latest News & Gossip on Popular Trends at India.com". Us.india.com. 18 July 2014. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- Toscano, Nick; Spooner, Rania (2015-04-28). "Docklands apartment tower fire fuelled by material in building's walls, says MFB". The Age. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "Five killed in blaze at senior apartments in San Antonio". CBS News. 2014-12-28. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- The Jakarta Post (2015-03-10). "Wisma Kosgoro fire subdued, short circuiting possible cause". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- "Pool Fire at Cosmopolitan Hotel of Las Vegas Fueled by Cabanas, Artificial Plants, Fire Dept. Says - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. 2015-07-25. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- "5 Injured in 2-Alarm Fire at John Hancock Building". NBC Chicago. 2015-11-22. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- Fay Abuelgasim (2015-10-01). "High-rise tower catches fire in Emirati city of Sharjah". Yahoo.com. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- "Fire engulfs Dubai hotel ahead of New Year celebrations - BBC News". BBC News. January 2016. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- "Tehran fire: Twenty firemen killed as high-rise collapses". BBC. 19 January 2017. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "No final Grenfell death toll 'this year'". BBC News. 28 June 2017. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "ONLINE: VÝBUCH PLYNU V PREŠOVE: Hlásia mŕtvych a ranených". teraz.sk. 2019-12-06. Retrieved 2021-09-28.
- "Sharjah fire probable cause found, 150 buildings to have cladding changed - Gulf News". gulfnews.com. 2020-05-10. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
"Dozens hospitalized after fire engulfs 33-story apartment building in South Korea - CNN". https://www.cnn.com/. 2020-10-09. Retrieved 2020-10-09. External link in
"Milan tower block fire 'reminiscent' of Grenfell disaster, officials say". https://www.euronews.com/. 2021-08-30. Retrieved 2021-10-16. External link in
- "Hong Kong: Fire at World Trade Centre leaves more than 100 trapped on roof". BBC News. 15 December 2021. Retrieved 15 December 2021.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article List of fires in high-rise buildings; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.