The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Years active||1996–2004, 2010–present|
|Labels||Friendly City Records|
Smalltown Poets is a Christian rock band formed in 1996. It was formed in Tifton, Georgia by high school friends Michael Johnston (guitars/vocals), Danny Stephens (keyboards), and Byron Goggin (drums), along with (then) Nashville musicians Kevin Breuner (guitar), and Miguel DeJesus (bass). The band has had 10 singles in the top 10.
The band started under the name Villanelle.
Smalltown Poets achieved recognition with their eponymous first album, released on Ardent Records in 1997. This release earned the band the first of its two Grammy nominations (Best Gospel Rock Album) and numerous Dove Award nominations. In 1998 they released their second album, Listen Closely. The song "Anything Genuine" from that album became their biggest hit. Their third album, Third Verse was released in 2000. In 2004 they released their fourth studio album, It's Later Than It's Ever Been on BEC Recordings.
Smalltown Poets went on hiatus several months after It's Later Than It's Ever Been, but regrouped in the fall of 2010 to produce a Christmas album, Smalltown Poets Christmas, in 2011 (co-produced and mixed by former Smalltown Poets drummer Matt Goldman). In anticipation of that full-length release, the band released a Christmas single in December 2010 titled "In the Bleak Midwinter."
In 2012, the Smalltown Poets released a digital EP, "Under the New Sun".
Smalltown Poets' second Christmas album, Christmas Time Again, was released on November 25, 2014, followed by live performances. They funded this project through a campaign on PledgeMusic which allowed fans to support the project and receive a digital download in advance of the release.
The fact that the band members don't all live in the same city makes collaboration difficult for them, although technology has facilitated their continued work.
- Michael Johnston – vocals, guitars
- Danny Stephens – keyboards
- Byron Goggin – drums
- Kevin Breuner – guitars
- Miguel DeJesús – bass guitar
- Nathan Blackstone – drums (1999)
- Matt Goldman – drums, percussion and loops (2000–2004)
- Troy Stains – guitars (2004)
- Alex Peterson – bass guitar (2004)
- Smalltown Poets (1997)
- Listen Closely (1998)
- Third Verse (2000)
- It's Later Than It's Ever Been (2004)
- In the Bleak Midwinter (single) (2010)
- Smalltown Poets Christmas (2011)
- Under the New Sun (EP) (2012)
- Christmas Time Again (2014)
- Say Hello (2018)
- Longs, Herb. "Smalltown Poets Set To Release Eighth Studio Album May 11". The Christian Beat. Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- Watson, Kathryn (23 July 2015). "Where are They Now? Alternative Christian Rock Bands of the '90s: Caedmon's Call, Sixpence None the Richer, Smalltown Poets". Breath Cast. Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- Francesco, JJ (2014-11-07). "Smalltown Poets Christmas: The Sequel". New Release Tuesday. NRT. Archived from the original on 2014-11-15. Retrieved 2014-11-15.
- "Smalltown Poets". 7ball (12). May–June 1997.
- "Smalltown Poets". 7ball (23). March–April 1999.
- "Say Hello Album Review" CCM Magazine Feature May 2018
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Smalltown Poets; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.