The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Steve Carter (rugby league)
|Born||(1970-07-22) 22 July 1970|
|Weight||88 kg (13 st 12 lb)|
Steve Carter (born 22 July 1970) is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s. A New South Wales State of Origin representative five-eighth, in Australia he played for and captained the Penrith Panthers, with whom he won the 1991 NSWRL Premiership. He ended his career with a season in England with the Widnes Vikings.
A Wyong junior, Carter was graded by the Panthers in 1988. He primarily played in the five-eighth position. Carter was on the interchange bench for the Panthers first and unsuccessful Grand Final attempt in season 1990. He was the regular five-eighth in the 1991 Panthers outfit that clinched the club's first premiership. Following the grand final victory he travelled with the Panthers to England for the 1991 World Club Challenge which was lost to Wigan.
After the turmoil at the club which upset the 1992 season and saw a number of senior players leave, Carter took over as captain, a role he maintained throughout the 1990s. In spite of career threatening injuries and poor form he played out the 2001 series in a successful attempt to beat Royce Simmons' record of club appearances for the Panthers. Carter holds the standing club record of 242 first grade appearances.
Carter enjoyed one year of representative football - in 1992 he was selected for Country Origin and made one appearance off the interchange bench. New South Wales in game II of the 1992 State of Origin series.
- First Grade Debut: 1988 - Round 13 Penrith vs Illawarra Steelers at Penrith Stadium, 13 June
- State of Origin: 1992 - Game 2, New South Wales vs Queensland at Lang Park, 20 May
- Premierships: 1991 - Member of the Penrith Panthers Grand Final winning team
- Shawn Dollin and Andrew Ferguson (19 October 2015). "Steve Carter". rugbyleagueproject.com.
-  Archived 27 August 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "SportingPulse Homepage for Australian Secondary Schools Rugby League". SportingPulse. Retrieved 10 October 2008.
- "State Of Origin - Game 2, 1992". Rugby League Tables. Archived from the original on 30 September 2007. Retrieved 6 December 2007.
- Whiticker, Alan; Hudson, Glen (2007). The Encyclopedia of Rugby League Players. Gary Allen Pty Ltd. ISBN 978-1-877082-93-1.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Steve Carter (rugby league); it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.