The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Sudarsan Pattnaik (2011)
|Born|| (1977-04-15) 15 April 1977
|Awards||Padma Shri (2014)|
Early life and background
Puri, Odisha in India.Sudarsan Pattnaik World renowned Indian Sand artist Born to a poor family in the land of Lord Jagannath, at Marchikote lane, Po/Dist-Puri(Orissa)was born in the year of 1977 .His childhood dream was beyond reach in the shape of education, but destiny has reserved something for him by the serene sea under the soft sun shine striving to leave imprints on the sand of time – that’s what the international sand artist is all about.
Sudarsan has represented India in 60 international Sand Sculpture championship and festivals all around the world and Won 27 (Twenty seven) championship prizes for the country. In 2016 & 2017 he has won Gold medal in Russia and in 2016 got people’s choice prize in Bulgaria. In 2013, he won 1st prize (gold medal) at Saint Peters Burg in 12th International sand sculpture competition at Russia, Danish grand prizes at International Sand competition Championship, Denmark and won Moscow museum prize at Russia. In 2011 he won 1st prize and public prize at Denmark and also won double gold medal at Solo International sand art contest in Mervala 2012. In 2010, he won the gold medal for people choice award at 3rd Moscow World sand sculpture championship. He also won three medal in North American solo sand sculpture championship, People choice prize in Canada and Moscow. In 2009 Won the Korea sand sculpture award. In 2008 he won the World champion title at USF World sand sculpture championship, Berlin. Apart from this he is the 5 times winner of people choice award at Germany, which is a record.
He has also bagged various national award like National Youth award (2004-2005), National Tourism award (2005-2006), People of the year award by Limca Book in 2009 and Young Indian leadership award by CNN IBN in 2010; He has been felicitated by Her Excellency president of India Smt. Pratibha Devi Singh Patil during her visit to Puri. His art performance was also appreciated by honorable dignitaries the president of India, the prime minister of India, speaker of Lok sabha and the Governor of State. He also got Honorary Doctorate from Berhampur University, Odisha in 2012. In this year he set a Guinness World record for creating World’s tallest sand castle. In 2014 he has honoured Padma Shri By Govt of India.
Apart from these, he is creating social awareness in national and international arena on world peace, global warming, terrorism, HIV AIDS, to save endangered wildlife species through his sand art for which he is always covered in global media. His works on the promotion of India tourism in Global forum through his art in different countries like Belgium, USA, Holland, London, USA etc. is highly recommendable.
International Awards And Achievements
(In reverse chronological order)
- SINGAPORE: Participated in Santosa Sandsation in 2017.
- RUSSIA: Won gold medal in 10th Moscow sand sculpture championship in 2017
- BULGARIA: Won Gold medal in People’s choice at World championship for sand sculpting Russe 2016.
- MOSCOW: Won Gold medal at Moscow sand art championship 2016.
- Seychelles: Participated in India festival at Seychelles and honoured by Govt. of Seychelles in 2015.
- USA: People’s choice Prize in World cup for sand sculpting 2014 at Atlanta city, USA.
- SAINT –PETERSBURG: Won First prize (gold medal) at 12th International sand art competition 2013.
- USA: Participated in World sand sculpting championship 2013 at Atlanta city, USA.
- DENMARK: Won the Danish grand prize at 2nd Copenhagen International sand sculpture championship 2013.
- RUSSIA: Won Moscow museum prize at Moscow World sand art championship 2013.
- DENMARK: Won Public prize at Copenhagen International sand sculpture championship 2012.
- SPAIN: Won double gold medal at Solo International sand art contest in Mervala 2012. One for the people choice and another for most positive sculpture.
- DENMARK: Won 1st prize at Copenhagen International sand sculpture championship, 2012
- MOSCOW: Gold medal for people’s choice at 3rd Moscow World sand sculpture championship, 2011.
- USA: Won three medals in North American solo sand sculpture championship 2010.
- CANADA: People’s choice prize at CNE International sand sculpture championship 2010
- BERLIN: 1st place in people’s choice at 8th International Berlin sand sculpture championship 2010(THIS IS THE 5Th TIME WINNING PEOPLE”S CHOICE PRIZE).
- RUSSIA: People choice prize at 2nd Moscow World sand sculpture championship, 2010.
- BERLIN: People choice prize at 2nd USF World championship 2009, Berlin, Germany.
- SOUTH KOREA: Korea sand sculptor award 2009 at 4th Haeundae Sand Festival at BUSAN.
- MOSCOW: Special Prize at World sand sculpture championship 2009, by Russia Government.
- JAPAN: Participated in World sand art festival
- BERLIN: 1st Prize at USF World championship 2008, Berlin, Germany and got the title of World champion.
- MOSCOW: People’s choice prize at 1st International sand sculpture festival 2008 Moscow, Russia.
- JAPAN: Represented India in Tottori sand museum 2008.
- RUHR: Audience Prize at 1st International sand sculpture festival 2007Ruhr, Germany.
- BERLIN: Public prize at 5th Berlin International sand sculpture/Festival 2007.
- TURKEY: Represented India at 1st Istanbul International sand sculpture festival2007.
- MALAYASIA: Representing India in 1st International sand sculpture festival2007, Malayasia.
- UAE: Demonstrating sand sculpture at International student’s conference 2007 Abu Dhabi.
- JAPAN: Represented India at 34th Sapporo snow sculpture festival 2007.
- DOHA: Demonstrating on 15th Asian Game 2006, Doha, Qatar.
- CANADA: Representing India on tournament of World championship of sand sculpture 2006.
- GERMANY: 1st Prize at 3rd Berlin International Sand Sculpture Competition 2005.
- USA: Participated in Houston international Festival-2005 at Houston Texas. TAJ MAHAL recreated in sand.
- AUSTRALIA: Participated at Sand Sculpting Australia 2004 at Melbourne.
- GERMANY: Public Prize at 2nd Berlin Sand Station Competition 2004.
- GERMANY: Participated at Sand World Festival at Travemunda at Germany 2003-04.
- UAE: Sand Sculpture Demonstration at Muscat Festival 2004 at Oman.
- CHINA: 4th Prize at China International Sand Sculpture Competition 2003.
- GERMANY: 3rd Prize at Berlin International Sand Sculpture Championship at Germany 2003.
- SPAIN: 2nd Prize in International Sand Sculpture Championship at Valadoli, Spain 2003.
- CHINA: The 3rd Luilang Colour Sand Festival Demonstration prize at China 2003
- CHINA: The 1st China Ningxia Sand Lake International Sand Sculpture Event- 2002, Aug 3 to 10, 2002.
- NETHERLANDS: The Dutch Sand Sculpture Festival Thorn 2002-2003 at Holland in July.
- BELGIUM: Sand Sculpture Festival Blankenberge 2002. at Belgium in June’2002
- JAPAN: Champion Medal in “29th International Snow Statue Contest - 2002” at Sapporo, Japan.
- NETHERLANDS: Singles International Sand Sculpting Competition at Scheveningen, 6th May 2001 & 6th May 2002.
- ITALY: 3rd Prize in World’s Master Sand Sculpture’s Championship 2001 on 16th July 2001 at Italy.
- DENMARK: International Sand’s Sculpture’s Festival 2001 Blokhus on 25th June 2001.
- SINGAPORE: Participated in SANTOSA SANDSTATION 2001 3rd June “SPLENDOURS OF GOLDEN ASIA” at Singapore.
- UNITED KINGDOM: International Sand Sculpturing Festival 2000 at Glasgow.
- CHINA: International Sand Sculpturing Championship 2000 at China.
- FRANCE: World Sand Sculpturing Championship at France 2000.
- UNITED KINGDOM: Exhibited during the World Cup Cricket’99 held at Edgbaston, United Kingdom during May-June’99.
- UNITED KINGDOM: Exhibited during the World Travel Market held at Earls Court, LONDON in November 1998 with support of Govt. Of India Tourist Office, London.
Awards and achievements
- He was awarded Padma Shri by Government of India, the fourth highest civilian award in India, in 2014 for his contribution in sand arts.
- "Honorary Doctorate" in LL.D. by Berhampur University, Odisha in 2012.
- "Godavari Award" by kusumagraj pratisthan at Nasik, Maharashtra in 2012.
- Felicitated and awarded by the Hon'ble President of India Smt. Pratibha Devi singh Patil at Puri beach in Odisha.
- Young Indian leadership award 2010 by CNN IBN.
- "People of the Year 2009" Limca book of Records honoured as on the occasion of 20th edition of Limca Book.
- "Sarala award" by the state government for the year 2008.
- 5 times Limca Book of World Record
- "Limca Book of Record" honoured as India Extraordinary for sand sculpture on the occasion of the celebration of sixty years of India's Independence on 25 September 2007, in New York.
- "National Tourism award 2005–2006" for most innovative tourism project by Ministry of Tourism, Govt. India.
- "EXCELLENCY AWARD 2006" held in July2006 at New Delhi by The Sulabh International and The Society of Sri Lanka Justice of the Peace Human Rights Organization.
- "NATIONAL YOUTH AWARD 2004–2005" organised by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India at Patna, Bihar.
- "BHARAT JYOTI AWARD 2001" At Kolkota. (Front for National progress)
- "Award of Excellence" by State bank of India BBSR Circle.
- People's Choice Award at Sand Sculpting World Cup 2014 at Atlantic City, US.
- His santa claus sculpture took place in limca book of records which he sculptured on 24 dec 2015.
- Providing training to artists through open air Sudarsan Sand Art Institute at Puri
- He started this in 1994 with a view to make these students learn and develop sand art as a professional art form. Students from India and abroad are enrolled for projects, regular and short term courses. His objective is to create professional artists through regular curriculum in this school of art and culture in a Gurukul concept.
- Published a book regarding SAND ART.
- Conducted training and workshops and demonstrated the art form in different Fair and Festivals in and around the countries to promote and popularise this art.
- Created World Record in sand sculpture at Puri beach in 2006, 2007,2008, 2009, 2010 which was placed in Limca Book of World record.
- Sand animation show at the opening ceremony of Common Wealth Game 2010 at New Delhi.
- Dept. of Culture, Govt. of Odisha appoint as Government nominee (Executive member) of Odisha Lalita Kala Academy.
- Brand ambassador for National Aluminum Company Limited (NALCO).
- Brand ambassador for International sand art festival of Odisha.
- "Four person from Odisha to get Padma Shri award including Sand artist Sudarshan Patnaik". Odishadiary.com. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Patnaik, Sudarshan. "Four people get Padma Shro". Orissadiary.com. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- "Padma Awards Announced". Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Home Affairs. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik wins international sculpting award". IANS. News.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Website Dedicated to Mr. Patnaik's work
- An OrissaDiary Interview with Mr. Sudarsan Patnaik
- International Sand Art by Sudarsan Patnaik (Puri District Website)
- Telegraph (UK) Sand sculptures by Sudarsan Pattnaik from India
- Sand Art Image of Gaddafi in Reuter Story
- Sudarsan Pattnaik's sand sculpture on global warming wins Berlin contest
- Youth projects ideas through sand ar
- Sand artist Sudarshan Pattnaik's sand art images
- Pattnaik creates sand sculpture to popularize Earth Hour (Sify News)
- Unique 'get well soon' wish for Big B (The Times of India)
- A sand sculpture of Amitabh Bachchan (apunkachoice.com)
- Sculptor builds his 38th Taj Mahal in Amsterdam (Sindh Today)
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Sudarsan Pattnaik; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.