Sung Si-kyung on May 30, 2014
|Also known as||성시경 (成始璄/成詩京)|
|Born||(1979-04-17) 17 April 1979|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, Songwriter, Radio DJ, TV Host, Actor|
|Revised Romanization||Seong Si-gyeong|
Sung Si-kyung (born April 17, 1979) is a South Korean singer, songwriter, radio DJ, host and actor.
Sung was a student at Korea University, receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, and then a Master of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication. He has also appeared in a number of TV shows including Korean dramas and entertainment shows, gaining favorable response from the public. Sung enlisted for mandatory military service in 2008 and was honorably discharged in 2010. Sung's first comeback concert after the discharge attracted more than 6,000 fans from all over the country.
While at Korea University, Sung participated in an online singing competition and was awarded 1st place in the country. The winners of the song festival released a compilation album, from which his song “The Road that Leads to Me” became a major hit. Due to the popularity of the song, the compilation album sold nearly 100,000 copies, even though it was a promotional album. This helped Sung to attain stardom in November 2000.
Sung's official debut was in 2001 when he released his first album, 처음처럼 (Like the First Time). Mainly consisting of ballads, his debut album contained three hits and made him the best newcomer singer of the year. Participating as a guest singer on You Hee-yeol’s album also contributed to his rising popularity. His second album released in 2002 was also a success, selling more than 650,000 copies. He continued to release album after album, averaging about one a year.
Sung currently has released 7 full albums - 5 are traditional ballad/pop albums, a "remake" album and a "special" album called "Try to Remember." He also released a "Best of" album in Japan which included his first Japanese title. His sixth and final pre-army was released in 2008.
in September 2011, he made his comeback to the music industry with his seventh album. The album's title song "The First Time" is a sweet and delicate ballad that was also released earlier in the year as a digital single. He decided to produce and release a regular album instead of a mini or a single to express his appreciation for his fans that had waited so long.
The album consists of 12 songs composed by singer-songwriters Yoon Sang, Kim Hyun-hhul and Kang Seung-won. It also features duets with Lena Park and IU. Also included is the Secret Garden OST theme song, "You're My Spring".
List of works
Awards and nominations
|Year||Company Name||Brand Name||Item||Co-star|
|2008||LG Company||The Rhapsody in Music||Mobile Phone|
|2012||Korea University||Korea University||Education|
|2013||Yondangi||English Application||Education||Heo Ji-woong|
|2014||Bvlgari||Man in Black||Cologne|
|2015||CJ Foods||다시다 요리수||Food|
|2015||CJ Foods||비비고 왕교자||Food||Soyou|
|2016||Bvlgari||Man Black Cologne||Cologne|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-05-12. Retrieved 2011-10-07.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-09. Retrieved 2014-07-22.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-09. Retrieved 2014-06-12.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "The 26th Golden Disk Awards Announces Its Nominees". Soompi. 2011-11-29. Retrieved 2017-05-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-12-09. Retrieved 2012-04-14.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "[문화대상4분기수상작 선정] 콘서트 '성시경' 뮤지컬 '위키드'". Edaily.co.kr. 2014-01-13. Retrieved 2017-05-23.
- Park, Jong-kwon (26 June 2014). "성시경-허지웅으로 시작된 토익 시장 혼탁 조짐". sports.chosun.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2 May 2018.