The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Edited by||Caleb P. Noel|
American Numismatic Association (United States)
The Numismatist (formerly Numismatist) is the monthly publication of the American Numismatic Association. The Numismatist contains articles written on such topics as coins, tokens, medals, paper money, and stock certificates. All members of the American Numismatic Association receive the publication as part of their membership benefits.
The inaugural issue was a four-page leaflet originally published in 1888 by collector Dr. George F. Heath in Monroe, Michigan, as The American Numismatist. The name was changed to The Numismatist soon after. The name was purchased by the American Numismatic Association many years later when the organization began to print a monthly publication for the benefit of its members.
In December 2015, the ANA announced it had digitized every issue of the magazine.
In April 2020, longtime editor Barbara J. Gregory retired after 32 years as editor-in-chief and 39 years on the staff. She was succeeded in the position by Caleb Noel.
As one of the leading numismatic publications, The Numismatist features several columns from its writers focusing on a wide range of topics. In addition to letters from the organization's President, the editor, letters to the editor, and values for select coin series, each issue includes:
- USA Coin Album- David W. Lange's column focusing on various U.S. coin series.
- American Classics- Focusing on various popular defunct U.S. coin series such as Franklin Half Dollars
- Auctions- Focusing on historic coin and paper money auctions in history.
- News & Notes- New releases from American and World mints.
- ANA News- News and happenings from the Association, including convention recaps
- Money Museum- Highlighting the Edward C. Rochette Money Museum
- Bookmarks- Reviews of new Numismatic literature
- Counterfeit Detection- Column by NGC
- Coins and Collectors- Q. David Bowers' monthly column on numismatic history
- Around the World- World coin convention news
- Early American Money- Ray Williams' column on colonial, post-colonial and early U.S. coinage
- Numismatic Chronicles- Nancy Oliver and Richard Kelly column on coin series and historical hoards
- Getting Started- A column of advice for collectors
- Quiz Quarters- Trivia and games, such as crossword puzzles
- Humor- Column by Jerry Cestkowski
Each issue also features an obituaries section to honor recently deceased ANA members.
All members of the Association receive the magazine as part of their membership benefits: gold members receive a digital subscription while platinum members receive a print subscription.
- Klinger, David (January 9, 2011). "The American Numismatist". E-Sylum. Numismatic Bibliomania Society. 14 (2). Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- "ANA puts 'The Numismatist' issues online". numismaticnews.net. Active Interest Media. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- "Longest-Running Editor-in-Chief of ANA's Numismatist Retires". CoinWeek.com. CoinWeek, LLC. Retrieved 27 April 2020.
"The Numismatist". 133 (5). May 2020. Cite journal requires
- "BARNES & NOBLE TO SELL "THE NUMISMATIST"". coinbooks.org. The Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS). Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article The Numismatist; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.