The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Type of site
|Music, pop culture magazine|
|Created by||John Doran|
The Quietus is a British online music and pop culture magazine founded by John Doran and Luke Turner. The site is an editorially independent publication led by Doran with a group of freelance journalists and critics.
The Quietus primarily features writings on music and film, as well as interviews with a wide range of notable artists and musicians. The magazine also occasionally includes pieces on literature, graphic novels, architecture, and TV series. The website is edited by John Doran, who claims that it caters for "the intelligent music fan between the age of 21 and, well, 73". Its staff list includes former writers for publications such as Melody Maker, Select, NME and Q, including journalist David Stubbs, BBC Radio 1 DJ Steve Lamacq, Professor Simon Frith and Simon Price among others.
Among its best known columns is its "Baker's Dozen," in which artists select 13 personal favourite albums. Content from the site's interviews have been used by other national and international media outlets. The site's news has been cited by publications from Russia to Brazil and Indonesia. The Quietus also organises independent music gigs in tandem with entertainment venues.
In 2008, The Quietus won Student Publication Choice at the Record of the Day Awards. In 2009, the site won Best Digital Publication at the same awards ceremony, where Doran won Live Review Writer of the Year. The same year, it was chosen as one of The 25 Best Music Websites by The Independent.
- Doran, John. "About Us". The Quietus. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- Gabriele, Timothy (18 November 2008). "Kraftwerk and the Electronic Revolution (DVD)". PopMatters. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- "UK online mag The Quietus list their Top 100 LPs of 2013". brooklynvegan.com.
- "Sex Pistols možno nahrajú nový album (Sex Pistols may record a new album)" (in Slovak). 24hod.sk. 16 December 2008. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- "Jones backs Libertines reunion talk". Star. 18 July 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- "Peter Hook: 'New Order are arguing like a fat Blur and Oasis at the moment'". NME. 10 August 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- Allison, Melissa (2 July 2009). "Sonic Youth takes a swipe at Starbucks' old record label". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- Sierra, Jorge (27 February 2009). "Día de asesinos (Day murderers)" (in Spanish). el Periódico de Guatemala. Archived from the original on 17 July 2011. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- "Beastie Boys придумали название восьмому альбому (Beastie Boys name eighth album)" (in Russian). Lenta.ru. 24 February 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- "Vocalista do Asian Dub Foundation vai apresentar documentário na Al Jazeera (Asian Dub Foundation vocalist will present documentary on Al Jazeera)" (in Portuguese). Rede Globo. 2 March 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- Agusta, Paul F. (12 July 2009). "Hope Sandoval resurfaces; Tika releases new album". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- "NME snapper and writer honoured at music press awards". NME. 28 November 2008. Retrieved 18 October 2009.
- "Awards For Music Journalism And PR". Record of the Day. Archived from the original on 9 February 2009. Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- "The 25 best music websites". The Independent. 16 October 2009. Retrieved 18 October 2009.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article The Quietus; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.