The image is from Wikipedia Commons
United Nations Economic Commission for Africa
|Type||Primary Organ - Regional Branch|
|Headquarters||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Executive Secretary of the Economic Commission for Africa
|United Nations Economic and Social Council|
The United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA or ECA; French: Commission économique pour l'Afrique, CEA) was established in 1958 by the United Nations Economic and Social Council to encourage economic cooperation among its member states (the nations of the African continent) following a recommendation of the United Nations General Assembly.
It is one of five regional commissions.
The commission's work is structured into seven programme divisions:
- African Centre for Statistics
- Macroeconomic Policy
- Social development Policy
- Innovation and Technology
- Regional integration and Trade
- Capacity Development
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (Headquarters, Africa Hall, opened 1961)
- Yaoundé, Cameroon (Central African subregional headquarters)
- Kigali, Rwanda (East African subregional headquarters)
- Rabat, Morocco (North African subregional headquarters)
- Lusaka, Zambia (Southern African subregional headquarters)
- Niamey, Niger (West African subregional headquarters)
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- DR Congo
- Equatorial Guinea
- Gambia (Republic of The)
- Ivory Coast
- São Tomé and Príncipe
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- United Republic of Tanzania
|Carlos Lopes||Guinea-Bissau||2012 - 2016|
|Abdoulie Janneh||Gambia||2005 - 2012|
|K. Y. Amoako||Ghana||1995 - 2005|
|Layashi Yaker||Algeria||1992 - 1995|
|Issa Diallo||Guinea||1991 - 1992|
|Adebayo Adedeji||Nigeria||1975 - 1991|
|Robert K. A. Gardiner||Ghana||1961 - 1975|
|Mekki Abbas||Sudan||1959 - 1961|
- United Nations System
- United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia overlapping membership
- "Commission économique pour l'Afrique". April 3, 2020.
- "Overview of the ECA". UNECA. Archived from the original on 2008-09-16. Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- United Nations General Assembly Session 12 Resolution 1155. Proposed Economic Commission for Africa A/RES/1155(XII) 26 November 1957. Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- Africa Hall, published by the Administration and Liaison Office, Addis Ababa (May 1963)
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article United Nations Economic Commission for Africa; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.