The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Type of business||Social networking service|
|Founded||October 22, 2010 (2010-10-22)|
|Headquarters||Wilmington, North Carolina|
|Products||Untappd, Untappd for Business, Untappd Marketplace|
|Users||9 million|
|Launched||October 22, 2010 (2010-10-22)|
|Operating system||iOS, Android|
Untappd is a geosocial networking service and mobile phone application founded by Greg Avola and Tim Mather that allows its users to check in as they drink beers, and share these check-ins and their locations with their friends.
Untappd provides a platform for users to rate the beer they are consuming, earn badges, share pictures of their beers, review tap lists from nearby venues, see what beers their friends are drinking, comment on checked-in beers, and ask the app to suggest similar beverages. In 2016, an updated version of the application allowed users to find a beer by scanning its barcode and hail an Uber directly to the venue they had checked into to reduce DUIs.
As a user checks in different beers, they receive different badges. These badges are divided into beer badges, venue badges and special badges. Beer badges, for instance, are based upon how many different beers a user has consumed (for example 100, 500, 1,000), five different beers from one country, five of a type like amber or wit, or it can be six check-ins of one beer. Venue badges are for checking in at locations such as different bars, different bars in one night, sport venues and so on. Special badges are available when a beer is checked in on special days like National Beer Day, Christmas, New Year's Eve, or Untappd's anniversary.
Untappd started in 2010 at Fathers Office in Santa Monica, California. On January 17, 2014 it was announced that Untappd had passed the 1 million user mark and by April 2016, they had 3.2 million users.
On January 15, 2016, Untappd announced that it would become a subsidiary of Next Glass, a beer and wine rating and suggesting application. Both companies indicated their applications will remain independent, but will benefit from increased data integrations.
Untappd at Home campaign was launched March 25th, 2020. As of September 4th, 2020 Untappd reported 820,000 unique users checked-in at least once from almost 180 different countries. 
- Bellamy, Cammie. "Brewing up business: Untappd could expand on Front St". Star News Online. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- Mather, Tim (October 22, 2010). "Untappd Connects Beer Drinkers Everywhere". Untappd - Drink Socially. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
- "Apple on the App Store". iTunes Store. April 29, 2019. Retrieved April 29, 2019.
- "Untappd - Discover Beer". Google Play Store. April 29, 2019. Retrieved April 29, 2019.
- Miami New Times - Untappd App: Social Networking for Hops Heads by David Minsky ; 4/27/2012
- Boston Globe -Find new beer; remember your favorites By Joe Allen-Black | The Boston Globe 6/29/2012
- ReadWriteEnterprise.com - Untappd: At the Intersection of Social, Mobile, Data and Beer Archived 2012-06-29 at the Wayback Machine by Joe Brockmeier, 10/6/2011
- Beer-tracking app Untappd gets barcode scanning, hails an Uber by Billy Steele for www.engadget.com; 02.09.16
- 2016 in Review: The Year’s Best Apps The New York Times By Kit Eaton; DEC. 14, 2016
- Warren, Christina. "A Foursquare For Beer Lovers". Mashable. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- "Untappd is 1,000,000 strong and growing!". Untappd - Drink Socially.
- Two guys created their dream jobs, forged by a love for tech and beer by Tom Rotunno; CNBC.com, Monday, 25 Apr 2016
- Untappd Merges with Beer and Wine Recommendation App, Next Glass Brewhound; by Chris Furnari Jan. 15, 2016 at 5:29 PM,
- We're Taking It To The Next Level Untappd blog, Jan 15 2016
- A spirited merger pairs Untappd and Next Glass by Mike Snider, USA TODAY January 15, 2016
- The 50 Best Apps of the Year Time, November 4, 2016
- Patrick, James (March 3, 2021). "Sacramento's Alaro brewery sees schism between critical success and Untappd scores". The Sacramento Bee. Retrieved March 27, 2021.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Untappd; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.