The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Pronunciation||Uthman (Arabic: عثمان)
Usman (Persian, Urdu)
|Region of origin||Arabia (Middle East)|
Uthman (also spelled Othman, Arabic: عثمان ʿuthmān) is a male Arabic given name with the general meaning of "wise, most powerful, intuitive" and it is popular as a male given name among Muslims. It is also transliterated as Osman or Usman, in Persian, Bosnian, Turkish, Urdu and in some Arabic dialects, as there is either no /θ/ sound or the character ⟨ﺙ⟩ is pronounced differently in those languages. It is also used as surname. It is also a less common name of German origins.
The following people share this name:
- Uthman ibn Affan, third Rashidun caliph and son-in-law of Prophet Muhammad ;
- Uthman Abu Qahafa father of Abu Bakr
- Uthman al-Asghar, one of the sons of Ali ibn Abi Talib
- Uthman al-Akbar, one of the sons of Ali ibn Abi Talib
- Uthman ibn Naissa, a Berber Wāli of Narbonne and effective Muslim governor of Septimania.
- Uthman I, a Marinid ruler.
- Uthman, a Hafsid ruler.
- Osman I, the first Ottoman ruler.
- Uthman ibn Ali (Bey of Tunis), the sixth leader of the Husainid Dynasty and the ruler of Tunisia briefly in 1814.
- Othman Al Omeir, a Saudi-born British businessman, journalist and editor.
- Othman Saat, a former Chief Minister of the state of Johor in Malaysia.
- Othmane Senadjki, a former journalist and edito-in-chief in Algeria.
- Middle name
- Al-Aziz Uthman, the second son of Saladin and the second Ayyubid Sultan of Egypt
- Azalina Othman Said, a tourism minister of Malaysia
- Surname and others
- Abdul Ghani Othman, the current Menteri Besar of the state of Johor in Malaysia
- Abdullatif bin Ahmed Al Othman, the governor of Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority (SAGIA)
- Arwa Othman, Yemeni writer, journalist, human rights activist and former Minister of Culture
- Tuanku Sultan Otteman II, a former Sultan of Deli
- Barbara Uthmann, businesswoman and supporter of bobbin lace
- Uthman ibn Hunaif, Companions of the Prophet
- Kamaru Usman, Mixed Martial Artist
- Othman, a fictional historical character in the Christopher Paolini book Inheritance.
- Ottoman Empire
- Uthman Qur'an
- Usman Institute of Technology
- Usmanu Danfodio University
- Osmanya script
- Osmania University
- Saidina Uthman Bin Affan Mosque
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Uthman (name); it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.