The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Western Province cricket team (South Africa)
Western Province is the team representing Western Cape province in domestic first-class cricket in South Africa. The team began playing in January 1890 and its main venue has always been Newlands in Cape Town.
- Currie Cup (18) - 1892–93, 1893–94, 1896–97, 1897–98, 1908–09, 1920–21, 1931–32, 1952–53, 1955–56, 1974–75, 1977–78, 1981–82, 1985–86, 1990–91, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2003–04; shared (3) - 1921–22, 1969–70, 1989–90
- One Day Cup (5) - 1985–86, 1986–87, 1987–88, 1990–91, 2002–03
- CSA 3-Day Cup (2) - 2010–11, 2013-14
- CSA 1-Day Cup (0) -
- Africa T20 Cup (0) -
- Gillette Cup/Nissan Shield (5) - 1969–70, 1970–71, 1972–73, 1981–82, 1988–89
Under the reorganisation of professional South African cricket in the 1990s and more recently, Western Province joined with Boland to form the side that now plays in the SuperSport Series under the name Cape Cobras and divides its time between Newlands and the Boland Park ground in Paarl. Western Province still competes under its provincial name in the UCB Provincial series.
As Western Province, the team won the SuperSport Series (under its previous names, as the Currie Cup and the Castle Cup) 18 times.
Venues have included:
- Newlands, Cape Town (main venue 1890–present)
- RJE Burt Oval, Cape Town (occasional venue Nov 1976 - Oct 1991)
- Boon Wallace Oval, Cape Town (occasional venue Dec 1985 - Jan 1992)
- PP Smit Stadium, Bellville, Cape Town (occasional venue Dec 1997 - Oct 2002)
Contracted players for the 2018/19 season.
|Name||Nat||Birth date||Batting style||Bowling style||Notes|
|Qaasim Adams||29 April 1984||Left-handed||Right arm medium|
|Isaac Dikgale||14 May 1995||Right-handed||Right arm medium|
|Matthew Kleinveldt||10 August 1989||Left-handed||Right arm off break|
|Jack Newby||20 November 1993||Left-handed||Right arm off break|
|Carlos Koyana||19 January 1993||Right-handed|
|Andre Malan||29 July 1991||Right-handed||Right arm fast-medium|
|Junaid Dawood||2 October 1996||Right-handed||Right arm leg break|
|Michael Cohen||4 August 1998||Left-handed||Left arm fast-medium|
|Justin Dill||10 November 1994||Right-handed||Right arm medium|
|Mpilo Njoloza||20 December 1988||Right-handed||Left arm medium-fast|
|Thando Ntini||7 July 2000||Left-handed||Right arm Fast|
- South African Cricket Annual – various editions
- Wisden Cricketers' Almanack – various editions
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Western Province cricket team (South Africa); it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.